Flare 2019

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
surfWriter
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare 2019

Post by surfWriter »

Another gripe -- When you use the "Close All But This" option on a tab (to close all the other tabs in the same panel) any TOCs that you have open in separate panels used to stay open. Keeping them open is desirable behavior for those who use their TOCs to navigate thru their topics. As of a few releases back, they broke that behavior--"Close All..." started closing the TOC tabs in other panels as well as the topics in the current panel. At the concluding session of one of the MadWorld conferences a few years back, someone in the audience raised this issue and there was a big clamor from dozens of attendees who said YEAH, PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS. Alas, it is STILL not fixed and it still bugs me every single day. None of our enhancement requests are present, either, and we've got some going back years that should be helpful for all hard-core Flare users.

I got alarmed at the named anchor issue and did some testing and think the problem occurs only if you're (1) using Cross References (not old-style links) AND (2) linking to an anchor within the same topic.
ruthhoward
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ruthhoward »

what about the lack of control over the appearance of equations since the era of LaTeX?

I like LaTeX but we can't specify the font etc for equation text any more, we could with MathML.
Beaver
Propeller Head

Post by Beaver »

I have asked for a link when you received an New Update availabel pop-up
- to the release notes, so that you see what is changed.
- now you have to search for the release notes.
http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Fl ... _Notes.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Regarding the pleas to MadCap to fix things, please remember that these forums are peer-to-peer forums. A MadCap employee occasionally stops by, but by and large, it’s just us users here. To have your pleas heard by MadCap, be sure to use the official mechanisms:

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs/
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Don't know if it's new, but there's now a link to the forums from Flare! On the Help tab. So now we're officially the "Help Community"!
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

johnrobertgr wrote:This is mainly monitored by our users and not MadCap employees.
As opposed to places such as Slack channels and LinkedIn groups, this resource is provided by and hosted by MadCap. Product management, QA, and customer service are just some of the roles that should be monitoring these forums routinely to get a better understanding of the issues users are having with the products they make. There should be no excuses for not doing so.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

chuck_agari wrote:
johnrobertgr wrote:This is mainly monitored by our users and not MadCap employees.
As opposed to places such as Slack channels and LinkedIn groups, this resource is provided by and hosted by MadCap. Product management, QA, and customer service are just some of the roles that should be monitoring these forums routinely to get a better understanding of the issues users are having with the products they make. There should be no excuses for not doing so.
At MadWorld Europe last year I made this point several times to Madcap staff. I know that for the software I write docs for I'd LOVE to have this kind of resource so I knew what areas of the software our clients were having problems with, so it's disappointing that this resource (these forums) isntn't being used much more heavily by Madcap people.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Folkie
Propeller Head

Post by Folkie »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:At MadWorld Europe last year I made this point several times to Madcap staff. I know that for the software I write docs for I'd LOVE to have this kind of resource so I knew what areas of the software our clients were having problems with, so it's disappointing that this resource (these forums) isntn't being used much more heavily by Madcap people.
Absolutely. There isn't a user forum for my current product but in a previous role (writing online help for software products with far more users) there was a forum (not hosted by us) where a lot of discussion of our products took place. We monitored it very closely indeed and were able to pick up on irritating issues very quickly and get them fixed PDQ, or make changes to the help to explain things more clearly.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Who's to say MadCap doesn't monitor the forums? There's a reply from MadCap staff in this thread.

I'd guess they do monitor here, but probably don't post very often because the forums aren't their support channel.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

marvin mallari wrote: This is mainly monitored by our users and not MadCap employees.
Well, technically, it was a MadCap employee who said they don't monitor the forums. :)
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

Dave Lee wrote:Who's to say MadCap doesn't monitor the forums? There's a reply from MadCap staff in this thread.

I'd guess they do monitor here, but probably don't post very often because the forums aren't their support channel.
Did you read the actual quote from a MadCap employee.

I'd assert they do not "monitor," just occasionally check in.

I'd also assert that their failure to routinely engage with paying customers in the resource they provide, especially engagement by product management, displays a disturbing disinterest in their customers ' issues once they have the money.

I'd also note that with one or two exceptions my experience with MadCap's support has been long the lines of:

1. Send a copy of your project.
2. We can't duplicate the issue.

Yes, there have been a couple of occasions where they admitted to a a bug. Were any fixed? No. Instead, we got new icons and splash screens and a re-purposing of snippets to grab the latest content development trend. And for paying customers, for long-time supporters and fans, there is no visibility into what MadCap considers important--at least, not until we see a new release and find that we have gotten few, if any, of our issues addressed.
Lance_Moore
Propeller Head

& with Capture/Re: Flare 2019

Post by Lance_Moore »

For the last couple of weeks (perhaps corresponding to the latest Flare update, though I didn't track it per say), Madcap Capture has been endlessly hanging. It would seem like a memory problem, save Flare and other image editors work just fine in my Windows VM.

Is this a known issue; eg latest Flare and Capture (which hasn't updated in a long time) don't play well together?

Is there anything I can do to make Capture work better? On graphics heavy days my productivity is cut by half.

Thanks.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Lance, I think my approach would be to reinstall Capture. Some application file is likely corrupted. I wouldn’t think that the behavior you’ve described has anything to do with Flare 2019.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
simona
Propeller Head

Post by simona »

As @arthurdent stated above, the bookmark bug affected only bookmarks in tables (and probably only those in tripane outputs).

The bug has been fixed with build 7081 which means I'll start using Flare 2019 now :D
Flare 2023 r3, Capture 7
TechWriter with 10+ years Flare experience (software)
99% remote
LorenaB
Propeller Head

Post by LorenaB »

simona wrote:As @arthurdent stated above, the bookmark bug affected only bookmarks in tables (and probably only those in tripane outputs).

The bug has been fixed with build 7081 which means I'll start using Flare 2019 now :D
Good, as I was having some issues with my trial I thought were user error. I'll delete and redownload.