Distinguish left and right pages in a style?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
autocart
Propeller Head

Distinguish left and right pages in a style?

Post by autocart »

Hi all,

Is there a way to distinguish left and right pages in a style?
Maybe with the new 2019 version, which I don't have?

I would still like to make margin notes work, but so far I could not find a way of how to distinguish between left and right pages and make the left-style be applied only on left pages and the right-style only applied on right pages. Is this (already?) possible somehow? Anyone knows a solution?

Many thanks in advance, regards,
Stephan
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Distinguish left and right pages in a style?

Post by SteveS »

I might be missing something here...

Are you using masterpages? You should be able to define the layout for left and right pages (as well as first and last).
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
autocart
Propeller Head

Post by autocart »

Hmm, not sure if we are thinking of the same thing.
I am talking about pdf output.
I only know of left and right pages in page layouts. If they also exist in Masterpages, that maybe could be interesting. (I have read/heared that technically you can also apply Masterpages to pdf output but that it is rather discouraged to do so, so I did not think much more abut it.) If Masterpages don't have left and right pages, then I would still like to define a style "Left" that should be applied to a paragraph if it ends up on a left page and a style "Right" to be applied if it ends up on a right page.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Sorry, I meant page layouts (that's what happens when you spear of a quick reply without checking it in Flare first...)
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
autocart
Propeller Head

Post by autocart »

No problem,
With page layouts my goals cannot be achieved.
To describe it in detail:
I want to create margin notes, which I add in Flare and print together with the main content. Creating them on ONLY ONE side of the main content (left OR right) throughout a topic maybe could be done right now (approaches to that can be found in this forum throughout the last years - depending on how nice you want your implementation to be, because the idea is not really supported by Flare of now). But of what good are printed margin notes on the left side if it's a right page?

So, I am still hoping to somehow make my styles "dynamic", depending on whether it's a left or right page. If I could associate a style sheet with a left page and another style sheet with a right page inside a page layout, then that would be great, but of course, it's not possible.

Your (accidential) mention of master pages was interesting inasmuch as I found out that you can have body proxies (theoretically more than one) in the master page and assign them a class (respectively a style but not a style sheet) with special madcap-attributes limiting its application to a left or right page. However, (1) master pages cannot be used for pdf output, (2) although they could be used for word output (according to the help file) and thus indirectly lead to pdf, I could not really make it work to differentiate between left and right or maybe certain styles simply don't work with word(?) and (3) since I can assign only one class to the whole body proxy on a page (and not a style sheet), I don't think that would cover my needs even if it did differentiate between left and right pages successfully.

So, if no one else has a solution, I assume that it's not possible in Flare. Which is sad because that is a reason (for me) to give the competition a chance. I think, that MadCap underestimates the importance of margin notes, especially for the European market.

Regards, Stephan
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

You could try contacting Tech Support and ask them, as they know LOADS about Flare, and can often find a solution. As well as that, I suggest you add a feature request (see the link in my signature) and you never know, it might happen one day.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
autocart
Propeller Head

Post by autocart »

good idea, ChoccieMuffin, thank you