Micro Content wish list

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Micro Content wish list

Post by BedfordWriter »

I'm liking the micro-content thing so far. But, I'm already thinking of ways to improve it.

For example, the automatic id that you get when you use "Create Micro Content" from the Home ribbon. I'd like a way to provide a relevant term for the id, rather than it just being "microcontent1", "microcontent2".

I can do that by
1) Editing the id in the source of the topic.
2) Save the file.
3) Delete the link from the phrases list.
4) Add the link back in.

Oddly, 3 & 4 are both necessary rather than just being able to edit the link in the phrase. Does anyone have an idea for a faster method?

My next wish relates to glossary results when searching. Kinda redundant to have both that and the micro-content. It would be nice to be able to say "skip the glossary definition when there's a micro-content snippet."

Finally, if my phrase is "How do I create a pan galactic gargle blaster?", then the linked topic is going to show up when I search for any of those words (assuming they're not used in other phrases. Fine if Ford is looking for a gargle blaster, but not so good when Han is looking for a blaster.
So far, my best solution is to make sure that there's a phrase for each variation, so a search for just the word "blaster" will satisfy Han, but Ford is going to have to search for both words, "gargle blaster". Can't see a better technique for this.

And, finally finally, what's the use of including "What is a..." in every phrase? I tried that for a while, but based on my testing, the phrases "what is a pan galactic gargle blaster" and "pan galactic gargle blaster" are equivalent.

(getting thirsty...)
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Micro Content wish list

Post by doc_guy »

Make sure you submit these directly to MadCap so they can be seen by the development team. (This is a peer-to-peer forum. MadCap may or may not see what you post here.)

I know micro content is a feature they plan to continue developing, so I'm sure your suggestions would be welcome.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

BedfordWriter wrote:I'm liking the micro-content thing so far. But, I'm already thinking of ways to improve it.

For example, the automatic id that you get when you use "Create Micro Content" from the Home ribbon. I'd like a way to provide a relevant term for the id, rather than it just being "microcontent1", "microcontent2".
I'm trying this out now too and totally agree. The "microcontent1", etc. ids mean nothing to the user, but are visible.
As you say, it is possible to change them, but you should be able to specify one of your choice, so rather than seeing a link to:
  • product/widget_creator.htm#microcontent1
you should be able to specify:
  • product/widget_creator.htm#creating-widgets
I've just submitted an enhancement request.
Feebeegeebee
-----------------------------------------------------
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Have now also discovered a bug in Micro Content.
  • If you create micro content from an existing topic and then within the Micro Content editor select the Response and right-click.
  • You get the option to Remove Link/Convert to Text.
  • When you select it, Flare raises an exception.
  • The response disappears from the Response window.
Case no: 153765 raised.

Feebeegeebee.
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

This has now been reproduced by Madcap.

Support have passed it onto the Development team as issue #151650.
Will post any further update here...

Feebeegeebee