Drag multiple topics to TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
richt
Propeller Head

Drag multiple topics to TOC

Post by richt »

I'm building a new project with potentially hundreds of little topics nested in a complex folder structure. I can drag one folder containing 50 topics to a sub-node in the master TOC under a parent topic, but then the folder itself shows up in the TOC and the generated Table of Contents as well, which I don't want. To remove this folder from showing up in my online help, I have to manually drag all 50 topics directly under the parent topic in the TOC, which is a massive chore and prone to mistakes.

Is there anyway to drag a folder of topics into a TOC without the folder itself showing up? Or some other way of loading a folder's worth of topics into a TOC under a parent topic?
Scotty
Propeller Head

Re: Drag multiple topics to TOC

Post by Scotty »

richt wrote:I'm building a new project with potentially hundreds of little topics nested in a complex folder structure. I can drag one folder containing 50 topics to a sub-node in the master TOC under a parent topic, but then the folder itself shows up in the TOC and the generated Table of Contents as well, which I don't want. To remove this folder from showing up in my online help, I have to manually drag all 50 topics directly under the parent topic in the TOC, which is a massive chore and prone to mistakes.

Is there anyway to drag a folder of topics into a TOC without the folder itself showing up? Or some other way of loading a folder's worth of topics into a TOC under a parent topic?
You can drag the folder into the TOC, and then move all 50 topics back one level so they're not contained in the folder. Then move the folder.
The newest noob in town.
richt
Propeller Head

Post by richt »

But how do you move all 50 back? I tried selecting them all in the TOC and dragging them up a node, but only one of the topics moved. If I try various combinations of holding the Shift key (like you would for multiple selections) then I get a Flare crash error.
johnkfulton
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by johnkfulton »

Possibly not the most elegant way of doing it, but you could always open the .fltoc file in the text editor, then delete the start and end TocEntry tags for the folder - that would move all of the topics up a node.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Or open the folder, select all the topics and drag just the topics to where you want them. You have to have the folders visible in order to select multiple files though. In the Content Explorer pane, click the second icon on the toolbar (Toggle Show Files) and then drag the files.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
richt
Propeller Head

Post by richt »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:...click the second icon on the toolbar (Toggle Show Files) ...
That was the key info I needed! Thanks!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

richt wrote:
ChoccieMuffin wrote:...click the second icon on the toolbar (Toggle Show Files) ...
That was the key info I needed! Thanks!
Took me ages before I found that one, and I now switch between the two views all the time! Another hidden gem.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx