"Row headers" controlled by table stylesheet

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

"Row headers" controlled by table stylesheet

Post by Nita Beck »

(Cross posted in the Flare Slack community)

Does anyone know of a way in a table stylesheet to define a first column to serve as a row header, meaning that instead of having the cells in that first column be wrapped in <td> tags, they'd be wrapped in <th> tags. I am trying to meet an accessibility requirement that the first column in a "data table" be tagged as "row headers". So far, I have not found a way to achieve this directly in the table stylesheet with a custom column, as there's no way to tell Flare that that column's cells should be wrapped in <th> tags. After applying the table stylesheet to a table, I have to then go into the code and edit the <td> tags for the first column cells to be <th> tags. Flare still honors the originally styling from the table stylesheet, which I'm grateful for. I'm experimenting now with some find-and-replace operations, but it's tricky. I'm trying to retrofit *many* existing tables, not create any new tables for the time being.

EDIT: Might have found a partial solution. No, I can't make the table stylesheet do what I want automatically. But I can avoid having to edit code by hand. I can select the first column, select th from the Styles list (which, unfortunately, loses the styling from the table stylesheet but at least does set the <th> tags), and then reselect the column style from the table stylesheet.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: "Row headers" controlled by table stylesheet

Post by Nita Beck »

Well, nothing to see here, I guess. I had not realized until today that although I can’t set up a table stylesheet as I’d like so it can produce “row headers” (needed for accessibility compliance), I can pretty easily adjust things in the XML Editor, as I described above. Time to put in a feature request...
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: "Row headers" controlled by table stylesheet

Post by Nita Beck »

Turns out one CAN set a column to act as a header for rows. The column must be in the position of the first column in the list of columns in the table stylesheet editor. The column in that first position will include a "Header" option, besides "Custom" and "Pattern".
Nita