Skip a level in MiniTOC?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
richt
Propeller Head

Skip a level in MiniTOC?

Post by richt »

I'm building some software release notes with the aim of sourcing both HTML5 and PDF output from a single TOC. Here's the TOC in question:
TOCexample.png
On the topic named "2019..." there's a mini-TOC to list all of the dependent pages, which I'd like to list all the topics UNDER the Archive topic, but not the Archive topic itself. The miniTOC has an Online-only condition applied, so it doesn't show up in Print.

The reason for that Archive topic is because in the PDF output there are other topics with children between the "2019" and "Archive topic pages, so I can't just abandon that Archive topic and relocate the children. The only workarounds I can think of are either a) copy the child pages under Archive so that they're also directly under the 2019 topic, with output conditions attached, or b) put those children into a separate TOC file and link to it in this TOC too.

So, are there any ways to manipulate a miniTOC?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Skip a level in MiniTOC?

Post by Psider »

I haven't tried it, but what happens if you mark the Archive ToC entry as Print Only and exclude print only from the online output? (It might exclude the sub-entries which you don't want, but it would be quick to test.)
richt
Propeller Head

Post by richt »

Once you set an Exclude rule in the Target then anything under that is excluded too. So setting the Archive ToC entry as Print Only means that the MiniTOC displays blank - it can't see the children two levels below it. I'd already played with that, but it's good to know others are thinking along the same lines!

What would be handy is to be able to point the MiniTOC to another page and retrieve a list of children from there. Instead I think I'll play with relationship tables to see what I can get out of them.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Another thought. Does the mc-heading-level css property affect the mini-toc? Maybe something could be done by defining it as 0 (zero) for a specific output minitoc style or defining a complex selector somehow?

This topic describes using the property for the toc: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... nt-TOC.htm
richt
Propeller Head

Post by richt »

Aha! Found something:
Flare_mergeTOC.png
If you link one TOC inside another, you can exclude the lower TOC node and just display the contents instead. If you then have a mini-TOC on the parent page with this TOC file nested underneath, you can create skip the intermediary TOC chapter.

To do this, you have to access the properties of the child TOC from inside the parent TOC, not the child TOC's direct properties that are available in the Project Organizer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.