Video File Sizes in Project

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
sds
Propeller Head

Video File Sizes in Project

Post by sds »

I've been familiarizing myself with embedding videos in my project. I wanted to get some input on how others handled this.
  • I like Mimic for the creation and editing and the fact that we have own it already.
  • When I build the .webm output though, the files are super huge. One of the videos is a tutorial for something rather complicated so it's about 7 minutes. It's an almost 68MB file. We're a software technology company so we can handle stuff like that, but my server admins weren't thrilled when they found out that not only am I adding 68MB for one video to the web server where the project is published, but that they will also be backing up nearly 1GB worth of build files for one video. Our software is huge, so many more videos are expected. The others will likely not be that large, but still...
  • So I started exploring other options. We have an old Demo Builder program from the old days. It's outdated, sure, but I thought with enough effort I could make some current looking tutorial videos. It can export .swf, .mp4 and .wmv files. The .mp4 is much smaller than what Mimic can output, but I'm unable to get it translated in the published output. And if I understand it correctly (I'm new to videos in online content), .swf isn't supported anymore?
  • So that brings me to the Mimic .mimov file. I'm able to embed it in my project using the HTML5 (Embed) selection, and the file is nice as small (only 228KB). I have two serious issues with it, though. First of all, it means that I have to compile the video every time I build/publish my project. It adds a good 5 minutes to my already lengthy build time and that's just for one video. Second (and almost worse), I'm really struggling with styling it the way I want it. MadCap seems to apply HTML and JavaScript from deep in the bowels of the project.
  • I was wondering if anyone had experience with embedding the Mimic videos, and how you were able to style it.
  • Or, if there are other frame/video editing programs out there that are capable of exporting a reasonably sized file.
I saw one other topic about this same issue (extra big output files coming from Mimic) but it was from several years ago and the OP never seemed to find a good resolution or alternative. Was hoping something has changed since then.

Thanks.
SDS