Links between TOC-TARGET-TOPIC

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
errkka
Propeller Head

Links between TOC-TARGET-TOPIC

Post by errkka »

Does anyone know if it is possible to generate an excel or such that shows the links between TOC and TARGET and TOPIC? Since the linking are done manually and I have been linking several hundreds I might have been doone some mistakes and would be nice to be able to spot eventual errors in a review and not later on in the actual website.
EricS
Propeller Head

Re: Links between TOC-TARGET-TOPIC

Post by EricS »

If I understand what you are looking for this should help.

In Flare,
1. Click the Analysis tab.
2. Click the Links button and select "Boken Links"
3. In the broken links window that appears click the "Export Data to CSV file" button at the top of the broken links window/tab.

That should export the links that are broken for you to fix.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Eric S.
errkka
Propeller Head

Post by errkka »

I dont mean that they are broken. I have created about a thousand topics and as many TOCs and as many Targets. They have name as 01-A01, 01-A02, 01-A03 etc. And each topic should be connected to the corresponding TOC which should be connected to its Target (The same number on all tree). But since I have done the connections manually I would suppose that I have made a couple of mistakes. Maybe topic 04-A02 is connected to TOC 04-A03 for example. It would be nice to be able to generate all links to an excel so I easlily can see if the connection is to the correct number.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

You have 1000 targets generating 1000 one-topic outputs? Why would you do something like that?
Normally you would just have one or a few targets each with one TOC (or a few, in complicated cases where some sections are shared among targets and the rest is different, and you reference one TOC in another to repeat the shared material).
I've never heard of anybody making a separate target for every topic, nor anywhere close to this number of TOCs or targets without some system for automating the process - in which case you could also automate the checking. TOCs and targets are all XML files which can be checked by a script to ensure they reference the right things, and that is probably the solution to your problem. You can also use the Clean HTML output type if you just want to generate a mass of HTML topics that you can do whatever with.

But as for what you can get out of Flare to help with what you have now, there's a Reports feature under the Project Organizer. Add a report file, and then there are a bunch of different reports you can generate. They aren't Excel files, but maybe there's something in here you can parse with a script to find what you want.
One of the reports here is Topics Not In Any TOC. This will help you locate any topics which have not been correctly linked to their TOC (because the TOC hasn't been created, or is empty, or a different topic is linked there by mistake) as long as the same topic is not linked in a different TOC by mistake.
errkka
Propeller Head

Post by errkka »

I have one HTML-target for all the topics. And each topic needs a PDF. So besides that each topic is included in the big HTML-target, they also have a specific PDF-target and a specific PDF-TOC with that topic alone. That is the reason for the large numbers. I am sure there is a better way to fix all this but I didnt know how. I update the topic, generate the PDF, replace the old PDF, and then generate the HTML-target. If you have a simpler solution to this, I am all ears. It is not that it is very complex and I only need to do it once. It hase taken me maybe 3 days but since it is all manually I would guess I would have messed up one or two.

I will try to play around with the report feature to see if I can find some errors. Thank you!