Page 1 of 1

Word spacing in heading different for different browsers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:34 am
by williamgwilliams
I've got the word spacing in my compiled help set so it looks okay when I've compiled it. But when it then gets deployed for customer viewers, the word spacing gets significantly reduced. Here's the compiled (on my machine) view in Chrome:

On_my_machine.png


And here is how it looks (also in Chrome) when deployed to a webg server for customers:

Deployed_version.png


Any idea why the web server compresses the word spacing like that? What I did was to go into the H1 Style and set Block > word spacing = 4px.

Is there another control of the word spacing that might resist the web server from compressing it? Like a web.config file setting I could add?

Thanks,

Willie

Re: Word spacing in heading different for different browsers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:52 am
by williamgwilliams
Never mind. I solved it with a web.config file.

Re: Word spacing in heading different for different browsers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:26 am
by Chicago_HPT
Awesome! Can you share what you did with the forum, in case someone else encounters the same issue down the road and comes here looking for a solution? I'd bet good money many folks aren't familiar with a web.config file or what it does or how it could solve the problem.

Re: Word spacing in heading different for different browsers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:48 am
by williamgwilliams
Well, I confess that I'm a Luddite re: web.config files, but that I had an earlier problem with another help system where the web server wasn't processing my fonts correctly, and a clever developer sent me this web.config file to fix the problem:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration>
<system.webServer>
<staticContent>
<clientCache cacheControlMode="DisableCache"/>
<!-- Proper svg serving. Required for svg webfonts on iPad -->
<remove fileExtension=".svg" />
<mimeMap fileExtension=".svg" mimeType="images/svg+xml" />
<remove fileExtension=".svgz" />
<mimeMap fileExtension=".svgz" mimeType="images/svg+xml" />
<!-- HTML4 Web font mime types -->
<!-- Remove default IIS mime type for .eot which is application/octet-stream -->
<remove fileExtension=".eot" />
<mimeMap fileExtension=".eot" mimeType="application/vnd.ms-fontobject" />
<remove fileExtension=".otf" />
<mimeMap fileExtension=".otf" mimeType="font/otf" />
<remove fileExtension=".woff" />
<mimeMap fileExtension=".woff" mimeType="font/x-woff" />
<remove fileExtension=".woff2" />
<mimeMap fileExtension=".woff2" mimeType="application/font-woff2" />
</staticContent>
<urlCompression doStaticCompression="true" doDynamicCompression="false" />
</system.webServer>
</configuration>

I think the fix was those "Remove default IIS mime type for .eot which is application/octet-stream" lines. But I added the web.config file to the Output directory for this help system as well, and through dumb luck it seems to have solved this problem as well. Not sure what in there was what solved it. If any clever person out there can spot it, let me know. :)

Re: Word spacing in heading different for different browsers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:31 pm
by Chicago_HPT
Thanks for sharing! :mrgreen: