Opt-out of accessibilty improvements?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
mfaux
Propeller Head

Opt-out of accessibilty improvements?

Post by mfaux »

Is there a way to opt-out of the accessibility improvements introduced in Flare 2019 R2? This is causing unwanted behavior in my projects.

For example, I do not want the 'Skip to main content' functionality.

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ontent.htm
Last edited by mfaux on Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
bunnycat
Propeller Head

Re: Opt-out of accessibilty improvments?

Post by bunnycat »

Yes, mine too.

Mine is exhibiting in TopNav projects, hosted on an IIS server, viewed in Chrome. The other browsers seem okay, although I've only tested IE and FF, not anything on a Mac.

I actually just put a bug in for it - because of how it makes the output look "broken" on Chrome.

It totally should have been a setting on a target and not enabled by default. Yeesh

Frustratingly, there are style settings in the topNav skin to change styles, just not "turn it off" :(
JRtechw
Propeller Head

Re: Opt-out of accessibilty improvements?

Post by JRtechw »

I just upgraded to build 7283 after skipping the second-last build due to startup crashes, and I'm suddenly getting this 'Skip to Main Content' nonsense appearing at the top of my Chrome output as well. Why on Earth Madcap would introduce such a 'feature' with no warning and no opt-out is mind-boggling. This has just broken every Chrome output for every Flare user who upgrades.

You can hide the offending chunk with a bit of CSS hiding:

a.skip-to-content.fluid-skip.showOnFocus {
display: none;
}

Just about to test whether this applies to skinless outputs. I only have one project left that uses an out of the box skin.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I generally don’t disagree with the sentiments expressed in this discussion. Speaking only for myself, the latest version of Flare did not break my various clients’ top nav sites when viewed in Chrome. My point being that these changes have not adversely affected every Flare user who’s upgraded, but certainly many, it seems.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
JRtechw
Propeller Head

Post by JRtechw »

Weirdly enough, when I go to HTML5 - Top Navigation skin > UI Text > Skip to Content and delete the text for the Skip to Content entry, the output in Chrome exhibits the desired behaviour (that is, the Skip to Main Content link does not appear unless the reader presses Tab before doing anything).

I would say the expected behaviour when you delete the Skip to Content text is that the link doesn't appear at all, but at least this is better.