System XML XMLexception error

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.

System XML XMLexception error

Postby Vijayalaxmi on Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:22 am

Hi,

MadCap displays the error - System.XMl.XMlException error. '.'.hexadecimal value 0x00. is an invalid character.
This error occurs when I am trying to build HTML output.

Attached screenshot of the error.

Please assist me in resolving this error.

Regards,
Vijji
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vijayalaxmi
Jr. Propeller Head
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:12 am

Re: System XML XMLexception error

Postby ChoccieMuffin on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:10 am

Did Flare create a build log when this error happened? If so, the last thing it was looking at might be where the problem lies. I'm afraid I can't offer any further suggestions.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2019r1 and 2020.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus
 
Posts: 2466
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:01 am
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: System XML XMLexception error

Postby MarkMetcalfe on Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:58 am

I saw this in the Printed documentation topic and posted this response, but since i was building an online output, I will repeat my response here. (Admins can do what they like.)

I got this error. I wonder if it has something to do with a bad sector on a disk, or in a file.

I could see nothing wrong with the last file that processed; nothing at Line 19 position 8. So here is what I tried. Maybe you can try it.

I copied my Content and Project folders to folder on another disk, and also to another Temp folder on the same disk. In both cases, one or more folders or files would not copy. For example, if my Target folder would not copy (en masse), I manually created a Target folder at the new location and then copied the files from the old Target folder to the new Target folder - until I found the file that would not copy. (Fortunately, I had a backup of whatever file wouldn't copy, and copied that backup to the new location.) I was able to build the project on both on the new disk and the new Temp folder location without the error.

This doesn't exactly explain WHAT was actually happening or even WHY, but I SUSPECT there was a file corruption somewhere in the project that the error could not pinpoint for me.

Note that my original source project (a genealogic family history) was located and built on an external disk drive, and built with no issues before. As a precaution against a failing drive, I ordered a new external disk drive since my current XDD is several years old.

And always protect your project files with source control and/or backup files!
Mark Metcalfe
Optimizely
542 Amherst St.
Nashua, NH 03063
mark.metcalfe@optimizely.com
MarkMetcalfe
Propeller Head
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Nashua, NH


Return to Flare's General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests