Resources folder location

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Colum
Propeller Head

Resources folder location

Post by Colum »

As a relatively new Flare user, there is one thing I find slightly irritating: the location of the Resources folder. With it being inside the Contents folder, I find it more difficult to locate because of the myriad of other content folders in my project. I'd much rather have it at the same folder level as the Content folder, where it is much more visible. It doesn't look like this is possible. Am i right? Can you place the Resources folder anywhere else (e.g. in the Project Organizer)?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Resources folder location

Post by NorthEast »

No, the files in the Resources folder must be somewhere inside the Content folder. You can move them though, they don't need to be inside a folder called Resources.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I put my images in \Content\images, my snippets in \Content\snippets, etc and leave the \Content\Resources folder ONLY for things that I have imported from my Globals project (such as stylesheets, master pages, HTM files, snippets and images that never change in target projects).
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Colum
Propeller Head

Post by Colum »

Thanks ChoccieMuffin. I was thinking of doing something along the same lines. I'm more familiar with RoboHelp, although I haven't used it for several years. I like the way its folder structure worked so I am thinking of using the following structure. The Topics folder will be my actual topic files in a series of sub-folders, and the Images folder will have the same sub-folder structure. I've deleted the Resources folder as everything I need is now at the top level. If anyone thinks I'm asking for trouble further down the line, feel free to shout.
flare_content.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Sounds fine, and shouldn't do anything that breaks your project.

You MIGHT find that Flare tries to re-create a \Resources folder at some stage, particularly if you create a new something that usually lives in there. Don't know if that'll cause a problem for you, but you could always try creating a new snippet for example, and see what happens. (Even if you end up putting it in \Contents\Snippets you might find Flare just insists on having a \Content\Resources folder.)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

I don't think it breaks anything, but if you do an import from Word then Flare will recreate \Resources and store the imported \images and \Stylesheets (if selected) in there. You could end up with multiple stylesheets.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
Colum
Propeller Head

Post by Colum »

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Good catch @wclass. Importing a Word file DOES recreate the Resources folder adding an Images and Stylesheets folder. However as we've finished importing 1000+ Word files from our existing CMS, this would be less of an issue going forward. Just something to watch out for if we ever need to import content.
BTW @chocciemuffin so long as you select a folder before creating a snippet, it is always created there, so I'll just created a Snippets sub-folder inside the Content folder for when we need them.