Auto numbering not working

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Bahbert
Propeller Head

Auto numbering not working

Post by Bahbert »

Not sure if this a style issue, an output issue, or something else.

We have the following paragraph style set up to include a label with an auto-incrementing figure number for use under an image in a PDF target:

Code: Select all

p.figurecount
	{
		mc-auto-number-format: 'Figure {n+} - ';
	}

When I build the target, all of the figure numbers from separate topics start with 1. The only time the number increments is when a topic contains multiple figure numbers; in that case, the first is 1, the second 2, etc. It seems as though Flare is resetting the number for each topic in the output... or making them display as they do in the XML editor.

I could swear this was working earlier, but I haven't bothered to double-check the auto numbering in a while and we're just now finalizing the output. I haven't updated to the latest build that just came out today (12/12/19), so it's not a bug introduced with changes to the application.

I've tried adding a serial label to the auto number format (mc-auto-number-format: 'F:Figure {n+} - ';), but that had no effect (and I feel confident that the auto numbering was working correctly before without it).

What might have changed, or what might be affecting the auto numbering functionality to cause this?
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Auto numbering not working

Post by ajturnersurrey »

My figure numbering works fine and it relies on p.Figure which looks like this

mc-auto-number-format: 'CF:Figure {chapnum}-{n+} ';
This gives me 'chapter number - incrementing number (stored under F) within each chapter (C)'. My TOC ensures that the chapter number increments and the counter resets where needed.

mc-auto-number-format: 'T:Table {n+} - ';
Is the example in Madcap help (http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... amples.htm) for a simple incrementing label right through the document.

So, I think you do want

mc-auto-number-format: 'F:Figure {n+} - ';
If there's no letter in front it is not clear which counter n Flare is supposed to be incrementing. In my experience it then gets reset 'mysteriously' with other autonumber items, like headings.

If 'F:Figure {n+} - ' doesn't work, it could be because you are already using the counter stored under F for some other autonumbering in the document (such as a paragraph style for labelling steps?), try a less popular letter like 'B:Figure {n+} - ' and see if that works.
Bahbert
Propeller Head

Post by Bahbert »

Well, it's good to know I'm on the right track and not crazy.
ajturnersurrey wrote:If 'F:Figure {n+} - ' doesn't work, it could be because you are already using the counter stored under F for some other autonumbering in the document (such as a paragraph style for labelling steps?), try a less popular letter like 'B:Figure {n+} - ' and see if that works.
Unfortunately this doesn't work still. F is used nowhere else and I made sure the other elements with mc-auto-number-format are assigned their own letters. Still no go.

Considering there's one topic with two figure numbers that increment properly, I feel like Flare is resetting the figure numbers with each topic. This is a relatively short document (21 pages) with 30+ short topics and no chapters (just headings). There are only a handful of images in the compiled document. There are no break types assigned to any of the TOC levels.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

You need your series ID to be GF, not just F. The G is for "global". That tells Flare to increment all figure titles throughout your output. Having just F does indeed instruct Flare to restart the numbering with each topic.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Bahbert
Propeller Head

Post by Bahbert »

Nita Beck wrote:You need your series ID to be GF, not just F. The G is for "global". That tells Flare to increment all figure titles throughout your output. Having just F does indeed instruct Flare to restart the numbering with each topic.
And there it is! Not sure why I overlooked the “global” option but I think I was assuming I didn’t need it. All’s working as it should now. Thank you!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Nita Beck wrote:You need your series ID to be GF, not just F. The G is for "global". That tells Flare to increment all figure titles throughout your output. Having just F does indeed instruct Flare to restart the numbering with each topic.
I wish we could put a "thumbs up" response to posts like this!

Nita, thank you yet again for sorting us all out.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
88Schwind
Propeller Head

Post by 88Schwind »

I have a situation where auto-numbering is being ignored. In the TOC, I've set it up so the chapter and section numbers increment. So it should go:
etc.
Instead it just increments each section as shown in the screenshot.
In this same document, the page layout command is also being ignored. We have the company logo just on the first page. Even though the Legal page and the TOC have the normal page layout selected, the First page layout is being applied.
What can I do to correct these issues?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.