Windows update causing crashes?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Windows update causing crashes?

Post by chuck_agari »

Since updating to the latest version of Windows, including security patches, and, IIRC, a .NET update, I've been getting a lot of crashes--techically exceptions, because Flare doesn't go away--when I try to generate or publish a target. Not all the time, and a Flare restart seems to usually "fix" the issue. Running in a Parallels VM on a MBP. Anyone else seeing this after installing all the latest Windows updates?

Just happened again. Successfully published one target, then this happened on the next:

System.InvalidCastException occurred at 1/14/2020 4:34:44 PM

Unable to cast object of type 'B3.CatapultProjectKit.CatapultMiscFile' to type 'B3.CatapultProjectKit.CatapultImportFile'.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<MadCapExceptionLog localDate="2020-01-14T16:34:44.6029763-08:00" executableVersion="15.1.7283.32587" executable="Flare" protocol="1">

<OS version="Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18363.0" frameworkVersion="4.0.30319.42000" arch="x64"/>

<Exception source="B3.CatapultProjectKit" stackTrace=" at B3.CatapultProjectKit.CatapultTargetFile.ComputeUpToDate()at B3.CatapultMdiEditorKit.CatapultMdiEditor.GetGeneratedPrimaryTarget(IUrl prim, Boolean build, Boolean promptToView, Boolean isPublishing, Boolean viewAfterBuild, Boolean testCsh, Url viewWithPath)at B3.CatapultMdiEditorKit.CatapultMdiEditor.PublishThisTargetCommand(IUrl url)at B3.CatapultMdiEditorKit.CatapultMdiEditor.OnProjectPublishThisTargetCommand(CommandContext cc)at B3.AppKit.CommandInvokeContext.OnCommand()at B3.AppKit.CommandRouter.<InvokeAsync>d__0.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)at B3.AppKit.CommandRouter.<TryInvokeAsync>d__1.MoveNext()" message="Unable to cast object of type 'B3.CatapultProjectKit.CatapultMiscFile' to type 'B3.CatapultProjectKit.CatapultImportFile'." type="System.InvalidCastException"/>

<User machineID="223076edaac7fd533f1c20f559ae56dd76eba667"/>

</MadCapExceptionLog>
Turns out sometimes a restart doesn't "fix" the problem. Sometimes going into the target, deleting a character in a variable and re-entering it, does.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Windows update causing crashes?

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Have you tried the default fix?

1. Close your project in Flare.
2. Delete the Analyzer folder.
3. Re-open Flare. Flare then re-analyses the project and builds a new database in the Analyzer folder.

I don't know why that database gets corrupted, but that's a pretty fool-proof way to regenerate it, and often fixes problems.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:Have you tried the default fix?

3. Re-open Flare. Flare then re-analyses the project and builds a new database in the Analyzer folder.

I don't know why that database gets corrupted, but that's a pretty fool-proof way to regenerate it, and often fixes problems.
That sounds like the "delete your cookie" "solution" to web app problems. Or the "reinstall Windows" "solution" that many of my fellow tech support brethren used back in the summer of '90 when I worked for Microsoft technical support.

Interestingly, like going to the doctor's office, I have not encountered this issue again after I posted about it. I'll keep it in my back pocket for the future though.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

chuck_agari wrote:
ChoccieMuffin wrote:Have you tried the default fix?

That sounds like the "delete your cookie" "solution" to web app problems. Or the "reinstall Windows" "solution" that many of my fellow tech support brethren used back in the summer of '90 when I worked for Microsoft technical support.

Interestingly, like going to the doctor's office, I have not encountered this issue again after I posted about it. I'll keep it in my back pocket for the future though.
Oh yes, it's definitely the "have you tried turning it off and back on again?" question from Tech Support! :D But surprisingly, it does fix a lot of things, so it's worth mentioning. Somehow or other, the database gets scrambled sometimes, so it's a worthwhile suggestion for back pocket purposes.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx