How does Flare decide if a file is missing in Broken Links?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Jeong
Propeller Head

How does Flare decide if a file is missing in Broken Links?

Post by Jeong »

In the Broken Links report, I'm trying to figure out why I've got so many false positives (it's 100% in my project, false positives). Is Flare using properties of the file (or its hash signature.. I'm using git for source control) beyond its path and name? Because the file is there -> it's showing in the XML editor, the filesystem, and the PDF output, but my broken links report is peppered with these false positives that I'd like to get rid of.

What I have done is used the Word import function and I've used the imported images and topics as copy/paste sources. Most of the images that were imported caused unwanted lines to appear in the PDF output. I noticed that the imported PNG files had transparent areas and white bg areas. I opened the file, edited it (got rid of transparent pixels -> made them all white), then saved again with the same filename. That fixed the unwanted lines problem in the PDF target. However, it seems that this has caused it to appear in the broken links report.

To illustrate:
2020-01-22 09_56_04-.png
So when I look at the report, "Assembly Procedure _6.png" is in the broken links report.
"Assembly Procedure_7.png" is not in the broken links report.
They're both present in the filesystem. They both appear fine in the XML editor.
The timestamp on "Assembly Procedure_6.png" is different to 7 (later), which tells me that 6 is one of the ones I edited. (some of the edits would have had the same pixel dimensions, some would have changed dimensions).
Anyone know what's going on?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: How does Flare decide if a file is missing in Broken Lin

Post by NorthEast »

Flare builds the list of broken links from its Analyzer database, but this database can easily get trashed.

1) Close your project.
2) In Windows Explorer, delete the Analyzer folder for your project.
3) Next time you open the project, Flare rebuilds the Analyzer database.
4) Cross your fingers and hope the broken links disappear.
Jeong
Propeller Head

Re: How does Flare decide if a file is missing in Broken Lin

Post by Jeong »

Thanks for that, Dave. That's useful to know...

I came back here to post an update. I managed to resolve the problem by going to the topic in question and making an edit that would have no effect to the output (add whitespace somewhere outside of a tag). Flare sees the file has changed. When I saved that file, that seemed to cause the Broken Links report to rescan, and all the broken links associated with that topic file disappeared.

If I do that for each and every topic file in the broken links report, I was back to having no broken links found.

Bug report submitted.