Will a menu proxy work to map a left-sided TOC?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
amleal2011
Jr. Propeller Head

Will a menu proxy work to map a left-sided TOC?

Post by amleal2011 »

I have reviewed the skins PDF, and I can see that I can add a menu proxy to have a fixed, right-hand mini-TOC mirror my top navigation. However, I want to do this with the content in my left-side TOC. I want to minimize/de-clutter my left side navigation by having a right-side mini-TOC show the headings and sub headings that go along with the left side navigation header. I also want the mini-TOC to be bold when the user scans to that portion of the content, so the user always knows where he/she is in the content.

Can this be done with a left-sided main TOC? I want to use my top navigation items to have constant access to other areas like community, blog, etc...

I appreciate your assistance.

Andrea
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Will a menu proxy work to map a left-sided TOC?

Post by NorthEast »

You can use two menu proxies (not the same as Mini-TOC proxies) - one to show the menu content, and one to show headings.

When you insert a menu proxy you can select the content - to show a menu, select (default) or the TOC file; or to show headings, select (Headings).

Headings are highlighted in bold as you scroll down the page.

See the help: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... roxies.htm
amleal2011
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by amleal2011 »

@Dave Lee - Thank you so much! I absolutely appreciate your input! Knowing that I can do it without having to have a whole IT department in my pocket makes me so happy! Now, if I can just figure out how to do a pinned feedback option, and a search field that will show a list of commonly searched topics when the user places the cursor in the search field, I'll be a hero!

Andrea
amleal2011
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by amleal2011 »

I have another similar question...can I use the same process to add a top navigation menu to a template. For example, I'm considering using the template that Cloudistics uses (from the showcase); however, i really want a top nav option with a similar body look. I can do this with a menu proxy as well, correct?

Andrea
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

amleal2011 wrote:I have another similar question...can I use the same process to add a top navigation menu to a template. For example, I'm considering using the template that Cloudistics uses (from the showcase); however, i really want a top nav option with a similar body look. I can do this with a menu proxy as well, correct?

Andrea
I think Cloudistics uses the Top Nav skin, but appears to have set the top menu to not display, leaving just the logo and search.

The menu on the left is a menu proxy.
amleal2011
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by amleal2011 »

Dave - I'm using the Coronado template, and I've added a menu proxy on the left side. I am wanting to add a menu proxy to the right side, so it shows up to the right of the topic toolbar proxies. The program will not allow me to put my cursor on the right side of those two toolbar proxies in order to insert the menu proxy exactly where I want it. How do it do this? Do I need to float it somehow in the style sheet? The problem with that is I don't want to float ALL proxies; i just need to float the one on the right.Ideally, the topic toolbars would not be so wide, and I could simply place my cursor to the right of them and insert the proxy there.

Andrea
dgoldhar
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dgoldhar »

I also want to use a menu proxy with Side Nav (Left-side TOC), to show the headings in the topic. I want this to appear on the RIGHT side of the screen (this is for HTML output only). Haven't seen any settings for the proxy or the Menu Skin to do this. The only solution I found was to embed the proxy, in the master page, in the right cell of a one-line table, but this doesn't render quite right. Is there a way to do this?
dgoldhar
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dgoldhar »

I also would like to include a Menu Proxy with Side Nav (Left-sided TOC) on the right of the page (HTML), but it shows up on the left. Don't see any place to control the positioning (not in the proxy itself, or in the Menu skin)
I have tried placing it in the right cell of a single-line table, but am wondering if there is a more elegant solution.