Replacing resource not tracked as a change

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Replacing resource not tracked as a change

Post by chuck_agari »

I track changed in my content because there are times when I build a target and there's draft work that should not be included. Changes are specifically excluded from those targets.

It suddenly dawned on me (and I can't believe it's take me so long), that if I just update a resource, like a screen cap, by just replacing the file with a new one, that Flare doesn't "see" that as a change. (GitHub does, but that's different.) So if I generate a target and I've replaced some screens that are not yet in the released version of the product (because I'm trying to stay ahead), those new ones will still be in.

This wasn't really an issue, actually, when I was just publishing monthly PDFs. But now that we're doing online help also, I can fix a doc bug and publish a new online help right away. (The PDFs still wait.) But because my work is a mixture of fixing bugs in the docs and creating content for new/changed features, this faster process breaks.

I suppose I could "fake" it be introducing some sort of artificial change to the img tag when I do this, but I'm afraid I might not remember all the time. And the thing is, the "old" image is now gone (except in GitHub history). I also don't want to keep renaming new images once I give them semantically useful filenames.

I suspect this was never any sort of Flare use case. Am I as SOL as I think I am?