Single topic file sizes

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
bunnycat
Propeller Head

Single topic file sizes

Post by bunnycat »

I've noticed that when a single HTML topic fix gets above about 250K in size, the Flare XML editor becomes nearly impossible to use (can't scroll the topic, cannot edit efficiently because of really bad lag). The Flare exe CPU and memory usage goes crazy at the same time.

The files of this size are usually chapters in an API references - so lots of references and sections and subsections because it's a developers guide.
My solution so far is to chop up all of the sections into their own snippets, and then include the snippets in the main HTML topic file. It drops down the file size appropriately where I can use it.

Are there any other creative solutions out there? I would chop it up into individual topics, but we have to keep some fairly stringent automatic section numbering going, that be kind of a pain with individual topics worked back into a TOC with chapter numbering.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Single topic file sizes

Post by Nita Beck »

Hey bunnycat. I saw your post re the same subject over in the Flare Slack community. For the benefit of folks here, here is the gist of our conversation there:

Me:
I would definitely use the snippet technique.
Question: Are you working in the XML Editor in Print layout? That adds A LOT of overhead to Flare. If you are, try switching to web layout as you edit. That may make performance better.

You:
Yes, I am working that way because of needing to know the autonumbered section styles we use. But that is a good idea though. I can probably use the other view once i know what section I'm in.
It's also happening for insanely large API guides where i haven't used an autonumbered style. The file was just enormous....

Me:
So are the auto-numbered styles defined only in the medium you use for print? You could add those same styles -- minus the declarations about the auto-numbers themselves -- in your default medium. That way, they are available to you in the Styles window.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!