List is not auto numbering [FIXED]

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

List is not auto numbering [FIXED]

Post by M33R4 »

So on my page (target=PDF) I have 2 lists:

Top level list is a Numbered list

Beneath that top level numbered list, I have a Lower-alpha Numbered list which I created by blocking the paragraph I wanted as a list, right-clicking to select Paragraph. From the Paragraph Properties pane, in the Auto-number field I manually typed a. followed by OK.

Problem:
The alphanumeric list is not auto numbering - all lines in the list begin with "a"
*Please see attachment

Thanks for your help - I have only just started on the MadCap Flare 12 learning path :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
CODE:

<p class="WS-Boxed-Level2-2ndHighlight" style="background-color: #00aaa0;margin-left: -10px;"><span class="_header_title_WS" style="background-color: teal_subsection header 2;font-size: 12pt;color: #ffffff;text-align: left;">Login and Navigation</span><strong class="screenarea" style="font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none;"><span class="_body_highlight_WS">icon</span></strong>
</p>
</li>
</ol>
</div>
<blockquote>
<p class="UnorderedBullets" style="text-indent: 20px;padding: 0;padding-bottom: 0;mc-auto-number-format: 'a. ';" MadCap:autonum="a.  ">Double-click desktop <span class="_body_highlight_WS">icon</span></p>
<p class="UnorderedBullets" style="text-indent: 20px;padding: 0;padding-bottom: 0;mc-auto-number-format: 'a. ';" MadCap:autonum="a.  "><strong class="screenarea">Login ID </strong>- type login ID</p>
<p class="UnorderedBullets" style="text-indent: 20px;padding: 0;padding-bottom: 0;mc-auto-number-format: 'a. ';" MadCap:autonum="a.  "><strong class="screenarea">Password</strong><span class="Strong"> – </span>type password</p>
<p class="UnorderedBullets" style="text-indent: 20px;padding: 0;padding-bottom: 0;mc-auto-number-format: 'a. ';" MadCap:autonum="a.  ">Click <span class="click">[Login] </span>or <span class="click">[ENTER]</span></p>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by M33R4 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie to MadCap Flare
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: List is not auto numbering

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums! :)

Your auto-number is not incrementing because you have "hardcoded" it as "a". In other words, you're not using a counter. Instead, it should be something like "{a+}".

That said, I suggest that you don't use a blockquote for crafting your sublist, nor to manually enter the auto-numbering. Instead, nest a lower-alpha ordered list right inside the top-level list. Flare will take care of the numbering for you.

Under the hood, the list with sublist will be structured like this (without the background color and bolding, for illustration purposes only):

Code: Select all

<ol>
            <li>
                <p>Login and Navigation</p>
                <ol style="list-style-type: lower-alpha;">
                    <li>
                        <p>Double-click desktop icon.</p>
                    </li>
                    <li>
                        <p>Login ID - type login ID</p>
                    </li>
                    <li>
                        <p>Password - type password</p>
                    </li>
                    <li>
                        <p>Click [Login] or [Enter]</p>
                    </li>
                </ol>
            </li>
            <li>
                <p>whatever’s next</p>
            </li>
        </ol>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

^^^ What Nita said. You're hardcoding the lowercase a.

You can use autonumbering, but that is only necessary if your lists get broken or get continued from another topic (ie a break in your source documents) or you're trying to do some funky formatting.

I'd also suggest you keep your classes etc in a stylesheet, rather than inline. It makes maintenance much easier. If you want them in a topic, declare them at the top of the page.

A straight unordered is simple and effective.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

Thank you Nita and thank you Steve.

Nita - superb thanks so much!
Newbie to MadCap Flare
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

You're welcome.

You might find it helpful to step through the Lists Tutorial in the Flare 2020 r2 Help. I've been using Flare forever and still found useful tidbits therein.

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... torial.htm

EDIT: You say you are a newbie in Flare 12. Flare 2020 r2 is, technically, Flare 16. The version of Flare that was officially called Flare 12 was released in 2016. Are you sure you are using Flare 12? If so, then the List Tutorial won't quite work for you because a little bit of what it covers regards functionality added in Flare 2020 r2, such as support for definition lists.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

Nita Beck wrote:You're welcome.

You might find it helpful to step through the Lists Tutorial in the Flare 2020 r2 Help. I've been using Flare forever and still found useful tidbits therein.

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare2020r2/Content/Flare/Tutorials/Lists-Tutorial/Lists-Tutorial.htm

EDIT: You say you are a newbie in Flare 12. Flare 2020 r2 is, technically, Flare 16. The version of Flare that was officially called Flare 12 was released in 2016. Are you sure you are using Flare 12? If so, then the List Tutorial won't quite work for you because a little bit of what it covers regards functionality added in Flare 2020 r2, such as support for definition lists.
Many thanks for the link Nita - much appreciated.

My bad - I've now corrected my signature to reflect your observations - much appreciated :)
Newbie to MadCap Flare