Google Translate

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Google Translate

Post by Techno »

Given our move to HTML5, and software which is used in over 200 languages, is there any way we can invoke the likes of Google Translate to translate Topics into another language?
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Google Translate

Post by doloremipsum »

Have a look at Madcap Lingo: you can import a project from Flare, translate using machine or human translation, then export a translated Flare project.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Techno »

Yes, I know about MadCap Lingo. Sorry, but I've not made myself clear.

It is the Topic/page in our project being viewed that currently we are able to click on a "Translate" button, and the text will appear in the selected language. We have this working fine with Flare's generated *.chm.

However we understand that Flare 2021 will be the last version to support *.chm files, and need to consider how best to translate pages in WebHelp or whatever becomes the norm.
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Techno wrote:However we understand that Flare 2021 will be the last version to support *.chm files, and need to consider how best to translate pages in WebHelp or whatever becomes the norm.
Where did you hear that?

I don't think MadCap have mentioned CHM as an upcoming deprecated feature - just the ancient WebHelp and WebHelp Plus - see: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... atures.htm
Mind, CHM is extremely old, so I'd suggest using HTML5 help anyway if there's no technical reason for using CHM.

In my experience, Google Chrome will automatically invoke Google Translate when it detects a foreign language site.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

How do you do it in chm? It's certainly not something built in, so I'd imagine whatever custom solution you have could be adapted to HTML5. (Or it might even be easier, given HTML5 is modern standard html, css and js)
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If you use the Chrome or Edge browsers to open a standard HTML5 output that's marked as being a different language to your own, then both browsers automatically ask you if you want to translate the page.
So you don't really need to do anything - just use a browser that has built-in translation.