Mini TOCs only for print output ?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
oelgoetz
Propeller Head

Mini TOCs only for print output ?

Post by oelgoetz »

Dear Forum Community,

with great surprise I recently noticed that my online output no longer displays Mini Tocs.
However, they are still present in the print output.

Did I miss an announcement from MadCap? - Is this on purpose or is this a bug?
Is there a way to get them back?

Thank you for you answers.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Mini TOCs only for print output ?

Post by NorthEast »

I don't think mini-TOCs have changed at all, so maybe you've changed something?

However, I would recommend using a menu proxy for HTML5 targets instead of a mini-TOC proxy.

The mini-TOC will not necessarily be the same for your help and print targets though.
The TOC in the help is based on the actual TOC you create, whereas the print TOC is generated based on heading levels in your topics.
oelgoetz
Propeller Head

Post by oelgoetz »

Hi Dave,
Dave Lee wrote:I don't think mini-TOCs have changed at all, so maybe you've changed something?
well, the only change I am aware of was to update my Flare versions regularly.
Dave Lee wrote: The mini-TOC will not necessarily be the same for your help and print targets though.
The TOC in the help is based on the actual TOC you create, whereas the print TOC is generated based on heading levels in your topics.
I know that both proxies work different and I also experienced a couple of problems with the mini-TOCs in the past (which usually resulted in empty Mini-TOCs in the Output).
But once I learned that the Mini TOC depth was the reason and I would have to adjust it once I moved a topic's depth in the TOC tree, I haven't experienced problems with them.
This is why I am surprised that they now disappear completely from the Output.

I did not know about menu proxies yet. Sounds reasonable but complicated:
It would have to "repeat" each Mini-Toc proxy with an additional menu proxy and use conditional tags: mini-TOC proxies for print and menu proxies for online Output ?
Doing that for ~50 Mad Cap Projects x 4 Languages x 3 Hotfix branches is a lot of stuff.
dogsma
Propeller Head

Post by dogsma »

My mini tocs disappeared as well in online help.