Publishing to ServiceNow

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
BernieF
Jr. Propeller Head

Publishing to ServiceNow

Post by BernieF »

We have the ServiceNow plugin to publish knowledge articles. However, when I publish, a guide with multiple topics publishes in separate knowledge articles. We want the entire guide to publish to one knowledge article. I have play with the settings, trying to get that to happen, no luck. Does anybody know how to make that happen? Is there a setting I need to turn on or off? Thank you for your help!!
tagalong
Propeller Head

Re: Publishing to ServiceNow

Post by tagalong »

I think the MadCap Flare to ServiceNow plugin workflow is based on transcribing Flare topics to ServiceNow articles and I'm not aware of a method to combine them into a single article. A possible workaround would be restructuring your current topics into snippets and adding those to a single topic to publish in ServiceNow.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Publishing to ServiceNow

Post by doc_guy »

If you don't mind using the code, you can actually use normal Flare topics as snippets. (The snippet block doesn't have to point to a .flsnp file; you can manually edit it by hand to point to a .htm file.)

So you could create a single topic that is for your ServiceNow output, and you'd just put in a bunch of snippet blocks that point to .htm files instead of .flsnp files. It's kind of hacky because creation and updates have to be done in code, but it does work. It would mean your entire content doesn't have to be in snippets.

In addition, if you don't want to use the ServiceNow plugin, you could certainly generate a CleanXHTML target type. That target generates all content into a single xhtml file. Then you would take that output and copy and paste it into a ServiceNow knowledge article.

EDIT: Ignore the blue text (previous paragraph). This obviously doesn't work like I thought it did. I really though there was a way to build all topics into a single file, but I can't find it now.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog