MadCap Flare Implementing a Forbidden Words List

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
owensmn
Propeller Head

MadCap Flare Implementing a Forbidden Words List

Post by owensmn »

Hi
We use a term-base to define our business language we want to use in our product screens and documentation. All terms have on of these usage flags, e.g. preferred, allowed, deprecated, forbidden.
I am able to extract this list of the forbidden words into a simple text file. This is a list of words that we don't want our technical writers to use. There could be many entries in the list.

I can always scan the Flare source files for these forbidden words and produce a report myself, but I would prefer a Flare-based solution.

My initial thought was perhaps an enhancement to the Analysis feature could flag all words in this forbidden list? But this does not stop the forbidden words being used in the first place.
Or alternatively, use an approach similar to the "Spell Check whilst typing" feature so the TWs can see the forbidden word as it's being typed?

Does anyone have any insight on how to prepare and apply this list to the general review process that documents go through?

Best Regards
Mark
scap
Propeller Head

Re: MadCap Flare Implementing a Forbidden Words List

Post by scap »

I doubt there's any neat way to do this in Flare.

We created a non-Flare script to do this, a 'term checker' that we'd run as part of our review process. Which would be "scan the Flare source files for these forbidden words" from your OP. The technical writers could run this script too.

Using this strictly in reviews allied with a very visible terms to use / not to use list, the technical writers learned which words to use and not use over time.