Dynamic Search Filters using Meta Tags?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Mark Propellerhead
Propeller Head

Dynamic Search Filters using Meta Tags?

Post by Mark Propellerhead »

I am scoping out options for a new help project (to replace a large existing mismanaged Flare project), and our company has considered using Zoomin for the front end and hosting. Zoomin would work with us to define a taxonomy, apply tags to topics, and offer our users the ability to search and filter by those tags. I am wondering if Flare is able to do something Zoomin does (that would be a main reason for using them) - dynamic search filters.

I have used Flare's Concept tags for filtering, but that only allows a single filtering option per query. What I would like is to offer users multiple check boxes as filters (maybe by meta tag). I would like them to be able to check the combination of meta tags/filters they need (e.g. Version, Platform, Product Function) so that their search results are limited to their filter selection. Ideally, it would be dynamic, so the search results update as the status of the filter check boxes change. Something like this:

https://documentation.avaya.com/search? ... .value=dec

Of course, this is a lot like searching in Amazon and other commercial sites. It seems like Flare's Meta Tags could be queried for dynamic search, but I don't see that this is an option. Is there any way to set this up in Flare?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Dynamic Search Filters using Meta Tags?

Post by NorthEast »

Flare and the MadCap search engine doesn't provide this sort of advanced filtering.

I'm currently looking at some third-party search engines that will do advanced filtering (e.g. Unify), but obviously that will add expense, and some coding work to hack it into MadCap's skin.