Can macros be used for text searches?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
aneedell
Propeller Head

Can macros be used for text searches?

Post by aneedell »

Hello.
I was hoping that I could create a macro to perform a series of text searches in my projects, but it appears that Flare does not permit that. Regarding macros, the Flare online help says this: "The controls that are disabled are hyperlinks, related topics, concept links, keyword links, equations, and inserting characters..." I tried it, but as soon as I start a macro, the search panel controls becomes disabled. I've not used macros before, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. If any of you have, in fact, used macros to search for text I will appreciate your advice. The reason I want to do this is that I have a list of 20 words for which I need to search in every project, and I want to find a way to automate the task.
Thank you,
Albert
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Can macros be used for text searches?

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Happy new year!

I suggest you do your search and replace outside of Flare using a different tool. I use FAR HTML for that kind of thing. You can load all of your topics from all of your projects into FAR, and do your 20 searches. Would that help?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
aneedell
Propeller Head

Re: Can macros be used for text searches?

Post by aneedell »

Hello, ChoccieMuffin. Thank you for your reply and for your wishes for a happy 2023! I think you are right: I need to handle the search operation outside of Flare. I usually use AstroGrep for various search operations, but it doesn't appear to fit my needs for this specific task. I'm not familiar with FAR HTML, but I will definitely look into it. A quick Internet search this morning reveals that there are many search tools available for Windows. Now, if I can just find the right tool for my requirement ...
Thanks again, and happy new year!