'open linked file with' for images - menu option broken

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

'open linked file with' for images - menu option broken

Post by cayennep »

Image context menu is simply missing. 'Open linked file with...' used to show options, inc snagit on mac. There are plenty image editors on the windows vm tho, but nothing there. And clicking on it just does nothing.
Flare support started suggesting things (inc 'reinstall snagit', which doesn't make sense). Now they say nothing to do with them, it's the context menu on my computer. Sigh. That makes no sense, because this one flare thing is all that's missing.
Any tips or similar experience welcome, thanks.
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: 'open linked file with' for images - menu option broken

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Hi cayennep,
Just tried this and it's a bug.
If you right-click on a multimedia item and choose Open Linked File With, Flare gives you an arrow and a choice of available external tools.
If you right-click on an image and choose Open Linked File With, Flare doesn't do anything, despite various external tools being available on my machine.
I'll log it as a bug as well.
Feebeegeebee
P.S. Last issue I logged, was presented back to me as a "Feature Request", when it was definitely a bug, that I had to find a workaround for....
-----------------------------------------------------
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I'm assuming you're running Flare on a Mac using a Windows VM, so this suggestion might not be appropriate, so I'll make a suggestion pretending you're just using Windows.

In Windows File Explorer, set your default program for editing png, bmp etc to whatever you generally use. That ought to poke Flare enough to pick up the right thing.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Hi ChoccieMuffin,
I'm not running Flare on a Mac using a Windows VM, I'm on Windows.
Setting a default program in Windows Explorer doesn't make any difference either.
It's odd that the same menu option works for multimedia files, but not for images.
Cheers!
Feebeegeebee
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cayennep »

omg, this is not just me!!
been back and forth with them for days, support telling me try all kinds of things, bleh
yes, the thing just went missing, and because they say it works for them they're bailing on it
I did think we may have implemented a new company security policy - doesn't really make sense since everything else works, but they often do this and it breaks things.

It is quite a lot more steps to get the image - well, any more steps is a drag.

thanks all for verifying and reporting this
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

I'm using 2022 r3 on Windows 10 and I am not seeing this issue. PNG, GIF, and JPG images all have Snagit editor and whatever else I have set on my computer for those types under Open Linked File With.
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cayennep »

Feebeegeebee wrote:Hi cayennep,
Just tried this and it's a bug.
If you right-click on a multimedia item and choose Open Linked File With, Flare gives you an arrow and a choice of available external tools.
If you right-click on an image and choose Open Linked File With, Flare doesn't do anything, despite various external tools being available on my machine.
I'll log it as a bug as well.
Feebeegeebee
P.S. Last issue I logged, was presented back to me as a "Feature Request", when it was definitely a bug, that I had to find a workaround for....
hmm, but I don't get the arrow, that's the point - sounds like you do, so different issue?
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cayennep »

Feebeegeebee wrote:Hi ChoccieMuffin,
I'm not running Flare on a Mac using a Windows VM, I'm on Windows.
Setting a default program in Windows Explorer doesn't make any difference either.
It's odd that the same menu option works for multimedia files, but not for images.
Cheers!
Feebeegeebee
have you tried mc support? they are pretty much blowing me off, saying it's an issue w/ my windows - even tho right-click context menus work everywhere but here, even in flare
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

cayennep wrote:
have you tried mc support? they are pretty much blowing me off, saying it's an issue w/ my windows - even tho right-click context menus work everywhere but here, even in flare
Sorry have been busy. Yes. Tried support. Tried their suggestions, but not working.
Even though I have image editors installed and I make one a default in File Explorer, back in Flare, I get no options when right-clicking on an image and choosing Open Linked File With, not even an arrow.

So, it's not just you.
Regards,
Feebeegeebee
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cayennep »

update - well, same issue when installing newer version, but 'run as administrator' worked
In case this helps anyone - it does work!

https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/ ... stallation

Likely to do with combo of Mac m1 & all the parallels/windows - specific stuff needed, but I installed the two things mentioned here and all working correctly, yeah!