Perforce Integration

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
daphna
Propeller Head

Perforce Integration

Post by daphna »

Is anybody integrating Flare 3.0 with Perforce using the Perforce Plug-in? I'm not having much success. Flare times out, shuts down, returns error message, etc.
WordGeek
Propeller Head

Re: Perforce Integration

Post by WordGeek »

We are planning to and are looking into it. If we have success, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I'd like to know of your progress.
\"When you work with words, words are your work.\"
--Don Knotts as Luther Heggs in The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
daphna
Propeller Head

Perforce Integration

Post by daphna »

I think I'm pretty much giving up for now as Flare freezes constantly, even when I'm working with non-Perforce related tasks in a project that has been bound to Perforce.

I'll certainly submit some of my findings, but right now I need to get on with my regular work....
WordGeek
Propeller Head

Perforce Integration

Post by WordGeek »

Yes, I freeze too, but mostly if I have a couple of things running. What's worse is that after I close Flare, flare.exe takes over 100% of my CPU and freezes ALL of my applications to the point I actually had to do a hard reboot. :x

The other thing is that if you kill the flare.exe, the project is no longer bound to source control, so you have to go through the rigamarole again of binding it.

Granted, we're running on a very old version of the server code, but these are definite issues.
daphna
Propeller Head

Perfore Integration

Post by daphna »

Ah, that explains a lot. I was wondering why the project was becoming unbound and freezing so often. We have a fairly new installation of Perforce.

I have spoken to the contact here in charge of Perforce. Perforce is interested in hearing about integration issues and request. If there is a critical enough mass, they are apparently willing to work directly with a vendor on integration. I am going to report the integration difficulties to Perforce as well as to MadCap and encourage all who want integration to do the same.
WordGeek
Propeller Head

Post by WordGeek »

I will talk to our Perforce administrator as well, and see if we can get something going.

Thanks!
helen
Sr. Propeller Head

Perforce Integration

Post by helen »

Hi

I'm looking to bind my Project to Perforce in the near future so I was wondering if you'd have any sucess on this? Are there still slowdown issues or does it depend on your installation or Perforce & Flare?

daphna
Propeller Head

Perforce Integration

Post by daphna »

We pretty much gave up and are waiting for some empirical evidence from othres that we can trust this feature.

We still use Perforce for Source Control, but add and update files directly from Perforce. In some instances, Flare does detect that the files are in Perforce, but not always... a bit weird really.
DianeP5001
Propeller Head

Post by DianeP5001 »

Can someone please tell me where to get the Perforce plugin for MadCap Flare? I'm using Perforce P4Win 2007.3 and Flare 3.1.
daphna
Propeller Head

Post by daphna »

This depends on the Perforce installation. There is a special component of the installation that enables the integration. Speak to your Perforce administrator.
SB_WFS
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by SB_WFS »

We have come to the conclusion that Flare just doesn't work with Perforce. We've seen the same issues as other people have documented (e.g., Flare freezing). At this point we're investigating whether to manage the content in Perforce ourselves (but that's tons of files), or even to use a different source control system for Flare content only.
Andrew Heard
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Andrew Heard »

I managed to get Flare 3.1 to bind with Perforce, and it managed files OK. The only issue I found was the remnant flare.exe process on closing.

Can't get Flare 4 to bind to Perforce at all. Neither existing projects nor new projects. Using XP Pro - will try on Vista in the near future.

Would be good to get this fixed.
scooter262
Propeller Head

Post by scooter262 »

We have Perforce and Flare 4.2, and are trying to use them together, but running into problems with multiple people checking out files, etc.

I guess we'll try the plugin next. What is the best way to set up the integration? Get the plugin, install, set options, etc?
Andrew Heard
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Andrew Heard »

Perforce and Flare already have the required interface (MSSCCI?) to communicate. No need to install plugins.

However there have been problems with binding Perforce and Flare in previous versions of both.

Up-to-date experiences would be much appreciated.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.