Flare Keyboard Shortcuts

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
kivinen
Propeller Head

Flare Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by kivinen »

Hi, is there a list of all Flare keyboard shortcuts? I could not seem to find from the Flare help. I would like to print out these shortcuts ...

BR

Dave
helen
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by helen »

If you go to the Help Index and type "keyboard", the page comes up that lists them according to task and according to shortcut key. :)

Or here: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/w ... efault.htm
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Flare Keyboard Shortcuts Knowledge base

Post by Richard Ferrell »

We do have a knowledge base article that was created by Scott DeLoach one of our trainers. Check it out

http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_Csh.htm#GEN1010F
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
kivinen
Propeller Head

Post by kivinen »

Ok, great, I am using Dragon Naturally Speaking with Flare, and having that list of keyboard shortcuts and knowledgebase is very useful for me to create a command set.

Is there also a KB like this with the keyboard shortcuts for the other madcap tools like Mimic, capture, echo etc.?

BR

Dave
johnbwriter
Propeller Head

Post by johnbwriter »

Hi,

I am also using Dragon NaturallySpeaking and have discovered that there are a number of operations for which there are no shortcut keys. Is it possible to customize the shortcut keys in Flare, and for me to add shortcut key combinations for commands that don't have shortcut keys? For example:
Show Tags
Showed Space
Index Entry mode
Close Index Entry window
Move from Index Entry window to main editing window
Pick a style with the keyboard
Move items from the Content Explorer to the TOC
Move items in the TOC
Glossary Terms

Thanks,
John B.
kristil
Propeller Head

Re: Flare Keyboard Shortcuts Knowledge base

Post by kristil »

Richard Ferrell wrote:We do have a knowledge base article that was created by Scott DeLoach one of our trainers. Check it out

http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_Csh.htm#GEN1010F
Richard, this link didn't work for me.
jmenning
Propeller Head

Post by jmenning »

I've started using a little app called AutoHotkey to create custom shortcuts for things that I do repetitively, like inserting snippets, cross-references, togglers, etc. Basically, it's a macro that watches for particular keystrokes and then executes.

I got it here: http://www.autohotkey.com/
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

Seems like a good tip i could use.
What do you use it for specifically the most?
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

Found the shortcuts item in the KB:
http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_Le ... ame=MadCap
jmenning
Propeller Head

Post by jmenning »

Far and away, the three things I use hotkeys for the most are inserting cross-references, inserting snippets, and creating togglers. All three of those are buried in menus, but I need them frequently.

I also have shortcuts set up for opening the Index Entry window, and one for inserting an index token that I use to mark items I need to come back to.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

jmenning wrote:Far and away, the three things I use hotkeys for the most are inserting cross-references, inserting snippets, and creating togglers. All three of those are buried in menus, but I need them frequently.
I'd like keyboard shorcuts to apply Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3 and apply Paragraph text. Just downloaded AutoHotkey. Got to get past the AutoHotkey learning curve. Any tips?
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
jmenning
Propeller Head

Post by jmenning »

There are forums on their site that have tons of example scripts - I found a bunch of stuff there, not for Flare, but for some of my other applications. But the scripts are good examples of what is possible.

There's also a recording tool that installed with the application. It just grabs keyboard input, cursor location relative to the active window, but it's a start. And it's better than most because it will identify which window you make active and record relative to that, so the location of that window on your screen doesn't matter.

When I get back into the office on Monday, I'll upload my script somewhere. It's really basic so far, and I'm not sure how you would go about applying styles automatically. I am not a programmer :o) I'll think about it, though, and poke around online, see what I can find.
QBF
MadCap User

Post by QBF »

In most apps I make extensive use of keyboard shortcuts. Using a mouse is slowwwwww. I have entered a "Feaure" request asking for option of User Defined Keyboard Shortcuts." If you want this ability in Flare, or just want more Madcap defined shortcuts, you should enter a "Feature" request: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. Madcap seems to rank their development on how many want a particular "feature," so the more people that request keyboard shortcuts the better.
jmenning
Propeller Head

Post by jmenning »

Okay, here's what I have for scripts right now. It's not extensive, but it took care of my immediate need.

This script launches Flare and then stays open to capture hotkeys. I've set it to hide the tray icon, and if I run it again it will only keep one copy of the script running without asking pesky questions.

The first few hotkeys simply send the keyboard path to a menu item. The last couple are a kinda hacked way of inserting specific index tokens that I use for tagging stuff I need to come back to. I'm still trying to figure out if there's a way to set these without using the mouse coordinates.

Code: Select all

; Launch Flare and capture/execute hotkeys

#NoTrayIcon
#SingleInstance force
#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

Run C:\Program Files\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V3\Flare.app\Flare.exe

; INSERT TOGGLER
^!t:: ;CTRL+ALT+T
Send !il
return

; INSERT SNIPPET
^!s:: ;CTRL+ALT+S
Send !in
return

; INSERT XREF
^!x:: ;CTRL+ALT+X
Send !io
return

; INSERT PROCEDURE INDEX TOKEN
; Token name = Procedure
; Token condition = Do_Not_Use

^!p:: ;CTRL+ALT+P
WinWait, Index Entry, 
IfWinNotActive, Index Entry, , WinActivate, Index Entry, 
WinWaitActive, Index Entry, 
Send, {SHIFTDOWN}p{SHIFTUP}rocedure{TAB}
MouseClick, left,  481,  123
Sleep, 100
WinWait, Condition Tags, 
IfWinNotActive, Condition Tags, , WinActivate, Condition Tags, 
WinWaitActive, Condition Tags, 
MouseClick, left,  325,  77
Sleep, 100
MouseClick, left,  294,  312
return

; INSERT FOLLOWUP INDEX TOKEN
; Token Name = Followup
; Token Condition = Do_Not_Use

^!f:: ;CTRL+ALT+F
WinWait, Index Entry, 
IfWinNotActive, Index Entry, , WinActivate, Index Entry, 
WinWaitActive, Index Entry, 
Send, {SHIFTDOWN}f{SHIFTUP}ollowup{TAB}
MouseClick, left,  481,  123
Sleep, 100
WinWait, Condition Tags, 
IfWinNotActive, Condition Tags, , WinActivate, Condition Tags, 
WinWaitActive, Condition Tags, 
MouseClick, left,  325,  77
Sleep, 100
MouseClick, left,  294,  312
return
I submitted a request for more keyboard shortcuts a while back, listing the specific things I wanted faster access to. I've been keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be implemented in the next version. It's hard to type with my fingers crossed :wink:
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

thanks jmenning.
kmacdowe
Propeller Head

Re: Flare Keyboard Shortcuts Knowledge base

Post by kmacdowe »

That link no longer works.