What is "Updating Global Index"?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

What is "Updating Global Index"?

Post by mattf »

I clicked the Index Entry Mode button, as I have done many times before, and for quite a number of minutes I have been watching a very busy progress bar on a dialog called Updating Global Index. The only thing it says is "Computing global index..."

Does anyone know what this is?
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: What is "Updating Global Index"?

Post by NorthEast »

It's calculating all the tea in China. I usually press Cancel when it does that.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

I can only assume that it is doing more or less what it claims: creating/updating an index of all your keywords. I'm guessing that's how it populates the Index Explorer. It often pops up for me when I first start the project, and sometimes after I move topics, or I use the Index tools. Honestly, I can't make any coherent sense out of *when* it decides to pop up, and when it doesn't.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

You re correct Andrew, its updating the index explorer, Flare keeps all of its index entries in the topic's themselves, as opposed to a seperate file.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

On my PC it normally just takes a few seconds to finish (even in large projects), but as reported above it sometimes gets stuck and stays there forever (well, several minutes until I lose patience and press Cancel).
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Dave Lee wrote:On my PC it normally just takes a few seconds to finish (even in large projects), but as reported above it sometimes gets stuck and stays there forever (well, several minutes until I lose patience and press Cancel).
It's quite normal for the process to take 30 seconds or so for us in our large project. The others, it's negligible.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

I see the same thing as Dave and Matt: most of the time, it's pretty quick, but sometimes it seems to go off into never-never land for a while. Haven't seen a reproducible pattern to it, though.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare