Way to tell which master pages have been applied to topics

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
smurray
Propeller Head

Way to tell which master pages have been applied to topics

Post by smurray »

Hi all,

How can I tell what master page (if any) is applied to a topic. I had to publish my output to see whether I had the master page applied to the topic. I thought it might be in the topic properties but no sign.
Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks

Susan
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Way to tell which master pages have been applied to topics

Post by KevinDAmery »

It depends on how you are applying master pages.

- The "standard" way to do it is in the Target - if you go to the Advanced section, you can set the master page for the output target using a pulldown. This applies the master page to all topics in the output.

- If you are in print output, you can instead set the master page in the TOC by adding sections. This will change the master page for that topic and all following topics until the next section break (this is useful if you want your front matter to have roman numerals for page numbering but you main body to have arabic numerals, for example).

- There is also a method for online output where you can assign the master page using a Class of the HTML tag. In this case, you would have to check the topic properties to look for which class has been applied to the topic and check the stylesheet to see which master page is associated with that class.

HTH
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
smurray
Propeller Head

Post by smurray »

Ok, thanks for that Kevin.

I noticed in my published html output that one of my topics did not have the breadcrumbs that were applied to the master page - and I worked it out - this topic had not been added to the TOC.
To display this topic in the primary target viewer I was doing a search for the topic in the viewer (and finding it) but it had not taken on the attributes of the master page. So you must add your topic to the TOC before it will take on the attributes of the master page...

Susan.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

smurray wrote:So you must add your topic to the TOC before it will take on the attributes of the master page...
No, the topic will still be using its master page whether it is in the TOC or not. It's just that the breadcrumbs are only displayed for topics that are in the TOC, as the breadcrumbs show the TOC structure.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

smurray wrote:To display this topic in the primary target viewer I was doing a search for the topic in the viewer (and finding it) but it had not taken on the attributes of the master page. So you must add your topic to the TOC before it will take on the attributes of the master page...
The masterpage is applied to topics at compile time. You won't see the elements from the masterpage in the Preview window.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I think "viewer" means the browser rather than the preview, you can't search in a preview.
smurray
Propeller Head

Post by smurray »

Sorry, I am new to Flare and am not yet familiar with all of the terms!
It is html help I am outputting and I called it viewer because I don't know what it's called!

Thanks for all your help.

Susan