Seeing which topics have index entries

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
dariel
Jr. Propeller Head

Seeing which topics have index entries

Post by dariel »

I'd like to be able to see if a topic has index entries WITHOUT opening each topic. I can see which index entries have topics, but I don't know how to go the other way. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Devra
QA Tools Support
NDS Technologies Israel
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Seeing which topics have index entries

Post by DocuWil »

Hi Devra,

I have create a condition with a specific color. Project Organizer --> Conditional Text
When I have indexed my topic I use the F4 key to open the properties and just set it.
In the same way I have also created a conditon for: "Ready", "Needs attention" and "Software not Ready", but that are just examples.
You can create any condition you like.
In this way I have a constant overview in the Content Explorer based on the colours.
If you store the conditions in the template directory, you can use it without creating them again.

Succes,

Wil
dariel
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dariel »

Ooooh. Thanks Wil! Nice and creative workaround. Thanks for the idea!

I'd still like a feature though like the good old days in RoboHelp - when you could see the topics and the index and instantly know which topics were indexed and which weren't. WITHOUT opening another dialog.

Regards to all,
Devra
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

This is a bit trickier in Flare, because Flare stores the index entries in the topics in the spot where you placed them. When compiling help the index is built based on the topics to be included in the output. Just think about conditions, if keeping an already established list as you want to Flare would have to keep one for each possible condition combination. Also, the way Flare does indices it is almost impossible to introduce any corruption, which was way too easy using RoboHelp.
MadCap faced with Flare the same decision for many functions: either compile things independently from the topics in a central repository or compile things when the output is generated. Keeping things independent from topics provides better perceived performance and allows for some easier reporting, but chances are that a quick report is giving details about something that is not based on reality. MadCap decided to focus on getting things right, even if that may result into lower performance (which is not always the case) and a bit more involved process to report on things. I think they made the right decision.
In any case, you can always add a feature request here: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx