Copying/exporting the topic list into a spreadsheet

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
bbuchko
Propeller Head

Copying/exporting the topic list into a spreadsheet

Post by bbuchko »

Is there a way to export my topic list into a CSV format or something else I could open in a spreadsheet? I'd like an easy way to track which ones I've proofread, which have been blessed by development, when the last time I tested the procedures in each, etc.

I don't have a TOC built with every topic and I was hoping to avoid creating one, but if that's the only way to do it...

Thanks in advance!
-Bob
Bob Buchko
Technical Communicator
Corporate Trainer
Flare Noob
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Copying/exporting the topic list into a spreadsheet

Post by RamonS »

You can create conditional tags for this and keep track of the status by assigning the tag to the topic. None of those conditions would be used for excluding content from output.
bbuchko
Propeller Head

Post by bbuchko »

Doh, I was hoping to avoid that since I have 9 conditions I'm already applying to separate versions for different roles and customers (I know, I know... I started out with the best reusable-content intentions and it's turning into a quagmire).

Ah well, I'll figure something out. Thanks! These boards are awesome.
Bob Buchko
Technical Communicator
Corporate Trainer
Flare Noob
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

bbuchko wrote:Doh, I was hoping to avoid that since I have 9 conditions I'm already applying to separate versions for different roles and customers (I know, I know... I started out with the best reusable-content intentions and it's turning into a quagmire).

Ah well, I'll figure something out. Thanks! These boards are awesome.
I have the same problem, Bob: using conditions to track things like topic status is a very, very poor solution when one already has several dozen conditions which actually control output (with more being added continuously). I sincerely hope that MadCap addresses this. It would be really helpful to have an entire workflow surrounding topics, including who is responsible for them currently, what stage they are in, and perhaps things like what project they are a part of. MadCap's upcoming Team Server may have a nice robust version of this (I hope), but I'd still like to see at least a simple version included in Flare itself. Otherwise, we have to do it with spreadsheets, and frankly, that's a good chunk of extra work.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0