Xref vs. WYSIWYG medium issue

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
kristil
Propeller Head

Xref vs. WYSIWYG medium issue

Post by kristil »

I'm having an issue with xrefs being formatted incorrectly for the target medium.
Crossreferences are formatted the same in both .chms and Word targets, even though we've got different formatting designated in the CSS for each medium.
It seems to depend on what medium is selected in the WYSIWYG editor. Whichever is selected there is how the xref is formatted for both targets. Has anyone seen this before, or have an idea of why this is happening?
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: Xref vs. WYSIWYG medium issue

Post by forfear »

In the target, for either Word or HTML Help, have you set the medium settings for each target?
You'll need to specify this so that the medium specs you set in the stylesheet is included into the correct target.

Word --> print
HTML Help --> default
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

It would be in either the Advanced or Basic tab in the Target dialog box.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

Yep, those are mediums I have selected. I ended up sending this one to tech support, and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll post here when I do.
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

Actually, I'm having a similar issue with a table that I have in a snippet. I select a print table style, but it's the default one that is displayed in my Word target.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

When working with stylesheets did you consider the inheritance element of cascadings style sheets

- html
- body
- h1
-p

if you specified the formatting for the medium, you'll want to make sure that you did not overspecify the font formatting...i.e. the font formating needs to be specified at level closer to the paragraph..
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

forfear wrote:When working with stylesheets did you consider the inheritance element of cascadings style sheets

- html
- body
- h1
-p

if you specified the formatting for the medium, you'll want to make sure that you did not overspecify the font formatting...i.e. the font formating needs to be specified at level closer to the paragraph..
H1 doesn't belong in that list - what you specify for headings doesn't affect paragraphs.

However, the point itself is valid - there may be something in the topic code that is over-riding the stylesheet. As forfear mentioned, style code that is closer to the content takes precedence - so if there are any inline styles in the current block, they over-ride the css file. This can be a real problem when using Table Styles, for example, because for one reason or other Madcap's table styles insert a bunch of inline style code into the Table tag.

I'm not sure about the xrefs, although it's possible something similar is happening there.

Another possibility: I have seen on occasion projects have two or more stylesheets with the same name but in different folders (for example, if you import a project from Robohelp it may have a stylesheet in the root of the Content folder - Flare's usual location for stylesheets is Content\Resources\Stylesheets). If this happens, it is possible to have topics pointing to one of the stylesheets while you try to edit the other stylesheet - naturally, in that case the edits don't affect the topics.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

kevin, thanks for pointing that out. h1 is definitely not on that list. :)
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

For the tables, I select a print style in the Table Properties window in addition to the default table style. However, for that one table in a snippet, that print style doesn't seem to be applied, even though the Table Styles window says it is. It should look totally different than my online table. It works for all my other tables.

My xref formats are now working properly. Tech support couldn't reproduce my issue, either. Shortly before I sent them my project, I began removing all my xrefs, and started going into the code and removing hyperlink span tags and extra condition tags that were left behind when I deleted things. I can only guess that this fixed whatever the cause was, and that tech support tested in a place that didn't have those tags . . .? Works for me.

That said, display of xref formats in the WYSIWIG editor is a bit screwy. If I insert an xref with the default medium selected, then select print medium, the xref is displayed as a mix between the two formats. For example, if my online refs are blue and underlined, but my print refs are black and italic with "see page" before them, the WYSIWIG might display them as blue and italic. But I can live with that, since it's no longer being carried over into my targets.

Thanks for helping me trouble-shoot this. :)
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

kristil wrote: That said, display of xref formats in the WYSIWIG editor is a bit screwy. If I insert an xref with the default medium selected, then select print medium, the xref is displayed as a mix between the two formats.
Hi!

like the good ol Dr House...the case may be closed but the solution to this Xref mystery still confounds the best of us...

Have you tried this Tools > Update Cross-references...

everytime the xrefs seem to look 'screwy' in a topic, once you try that command, the xrefs will display correctly..,.its a bit like a command to update the display for cross-reference due to the complex dual nature of xref links compared to standard hyperlinks...a powerful thing though this xref...
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

Indeed! I think our dept. has finally got the better of them, though. :wink: Thanks!
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

glad to hear that : :flare: