Flare running very slow after v4 install

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
jblackwood
Propeller Head

Flare running very slow after v4 install

Post by jblackwood »

Since I installed v4 yesterday afternoon, Flare is running very slow on my computer. I have noticed that an advanced scan which I assume is related to the Analyzer integration starts running automatically. Not only does this scan take a while to actuallycomplete (in fact I haven't seen it complete yet in a 30 minute time frame), but while it's running it's difficult to do anything else in Flare, because the performance takes a big hit during the scan. I did a disk defrag after I loaded v4. My .Net drivers are up to date. Has anybody else seen similar problems? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Jeff
jblackwood
Propeller Head

Re: Flare running very slow after v4 install

Post by jblackwood »

I just found a Help topic for Improving Analyzer Scan Performance. My question after reading that topic is are there any recommendations to adjust the performance so I can work in Flare without delays but still get the most out of the Analyzer piece.

Thanks!
Jeff
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

From what I recall from discussions of some time ago the initial scan is slow as it starts from scratch. After that the scans can be configured to be more or less aggressive. So, yes, the initial run is annoying and takes the wind out of the sails, but once done it should be better and scans be less intrusive. I guess one thing that will speed up the process as well is to exclude the project folder from real-time virus scanning. Since that is where most likely the Analyzer database gets created the real-time scan does a check each time the file gets accessed. That isn't Flare specific, but applies to any application that either generates a lot of files or makes frequent r/w accesses to files.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

You can turn off part of the Analyzeer in Flare, Click on tools, Options, and analyzer, and then disable the collecting phase
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
jblackwood
Propeller Head

Post by jblackwood »

If I disable collecting phrases, I still keep the functionality found under View > Project Analysis, correct? I'd like to have to option to keep the functionality involved with "Collecting Phrases." With that in mind I'm trying to figure out how low I can go with the Maximum word count for phrases setting to still have it be useful while not affecting performance. Suggestions? Would changing the Intellisense settings help any?

Thanks!
Jeff
Ryan Cerniglia

Post by Ryan Cerniglia »

You're absolutely correct - when you disable collecting phrases, everything under the Project Analysis side-bar will work just fine. This uses the "basic scan" information that should be completed quickly for most projects.

The number of words for the phrases is something that really depends on your project - if you're not doing a lot of repetition in terms of content then you could probably lower that value but I would personally not go lower than 10 words.
jblackwood
Propeller Head

Post by jblackwood »

I hate to disable potentially useful features, so I'm going to try setting the Maximum word count from "30" to "10" and see how that works for us. Thanks!

Jeff
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

The first time you open a project, The Analyzer part will take a few mins that could affect performance, AFter it done scanning it should be quicker
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
jblackwood
Propeller Head

Post by jblackwood »

After I lowered the setting in Tools > Options from 30 to 10, the initial Advanced Scan that ran the first time I opened my project after that took a little over an hour. I haven't had a problem though once that completed.

Thanks!
Jeff
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Flare Creates a New Analyzer folder in your project, so the first time, will be the longest time, or if you delete the analyzer folder from your project.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Sounds like a good plan when opening large projects from older Flare versions for the first time would be to have Flare 4 open the project over night or over lunch so it can do it's thing without getting in your way.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Richard Ferrell wrote:Flare Creates a New Analyzer folder in your project, so the first time, will be the longest time, or if you delete the analyzer folder from your project.
If you have multiple Flare users, does each user need a seperate folder (with the accompanying slow first opening of a project) or is there just one folder per project? Thanks.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I'm just guessing here, since I'm the only writer here, but it would depend on where the project is stored. If you have it in source safe, then if you're the first person who opens the project you'll get the Analyzer folder on you computer, in which case you check the entire folder into source safe and the other users then check it out before they open the project. Hopefully the info in the Analyzer folder isn't user-specific.

If the project is on a shared drive, then they should all be using the same Analyzer folder that's on the shared drive.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

LTinker68 wrote:I'm just guessing here, since I'm the only writer here, but it would depend on where the project is stored. If you have it in source safe, then if you're the first person who opens the project you'll get the Analyzer folder on you computer, in which case you check the entire folder into source safe and the other users then check it out before they open the project. Hopefully the info in the Analyzer folder isn't user-specific.

If the project is on a shared drive, then they should all be using the same Analyzer folder that's on the shared drive.
We use a terminal server, so it's actually on a local drive (not network...I shudder to think of the compile time for this project via network). I suspect you're right...probably not user-specific (or it would get a user-specific folder, like outputs). That's a relief; it's annoying to have a great new version, install it for your team, and have the first thing that happens be a loooooong period of grinding. I have no doubt it will be several hours on our hardware.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
jblackwood
Propeller Head

Post by jblackwood »

When I opened my project for the first time this morning, the Advanced Scan took about 30 mins. I didn't touch the Analyzer folder that Flare auto-created initially. Any ideas why the scan might have taken so long? From everything I've read so far I thought it would be very quick since I did the install of v4 and the initial Advanced Scan yesterday.

Thanks!
Jeff
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

If you are still having speed issues, I would like to get a copy of your project so thatI can test it, Open a support ticket by using the following link.

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/contact.aspx
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer