Remove page from project without deleting it - Flare v4

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Joost
Propeller Head

Remove page from project without deleting it - Flare v4

Post by Joost »

Hi,

How do I remove a page from the project without deleting it? I thought I was smart: I put it in a different directory and left it out of the TOC but I discovered that you can get to this material via the index. So, what is the normal procedure? Deleting stuff is not something that is very well documented in Flare's help.

Thanks,

Joost
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Remove page from project without deleting it - Flare v4

Post by RamonS »

Anything that is in the source project folder will be included in the output. What you may want to look at are conditions. With that you can explicitly tag topics to be excluded from output. Just make sure that nothing links to that topic, otherwise it is back in again in order to prevent a broken link.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Joost wrote:How do I remove a page from the project without deleting it? I thought I was smart: I put it in a different directory and left it out of the TOC but I discovered that you can get to this material via the index. So, what is the normal procedure? Deleting stuff is not something that is very well documented in Flare's help.
I'm confused...do you want to remove it from the output, or from any of the project folders entirely? Probably the most effective way to remove a file from the output without removing it from the project folders is to use a conditional tag, and exclude that tag from your output target (Edit: as RamonS suggested).

Another option would be to use the new Backup capability. You can select a file and go to File > Backups > Send Copy of <file name> to the Backups folder, and then delete the file from the project files (the backed up file is stored at <path to your project folder>\Project\Users\<your_username>\Backups). You can restore the file at any time using the Backups tool (select the file you want to restore and click Restore...).

If you want to remove it entirely (without deleting it), you could use Windows Explorer to copy it out of the project folder into a backup area. You would then delete the original from within Flare (so Flare could remove links to it).

Hope that helps.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

RamonS wrote:Anything that is in the source project folder will be included in the output. What you may want to look at are conditions. With that you can explicitly tag topics to be excluded from output. Just make sure that nothing links to that topic, otherwise it is back in again in order to prevent a broken link.
This is the method I use. I have a condition called "don't include" and I apply it to topics or content that I don't want in any builds for whatever reason. I can confirm that it works.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

That backup function seems to be what Joost is looking for. I got the impression from his post that he doesn't want to get rid of the file entirely, but just not have it in the project or output any longer.
Joost
Propeller Head

Post by Joost »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am just looking for a way to get a file out of the output but keep it in the project for future use. I'll try the conditions. See if that is a workable solution.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Joost wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I am just looking for a way to get a file out of the output but keep it in the project for future use. I'll try the conditions. See if that is a workable solution.
I'd create a folder clled something like 'archive' and apply a conditional tag to exclude from all outputs. Make sure you add the exclude condition to all the targets as well.

Then you can drag and drop the topics as you need them, updating links if promplted.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.