Add New Topic w/ v4 -- "not a valid folder name"

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
pvz
Propeller Head

Add New Topic w/ v4 -- "not a valid folder name"

Post by pvz »

I've run into something I have not found an answer to:

background: We're using mapped My Documents folders that point to our individual network shares. Also using WinXP Pro.

problem:
In v4, when I try to add a new topic by selecting a template from My Templates, the path listed in the Source File box is:
file://<server>/UserHome/<user>/My Templates/Content/<template>.htm

When I click Add I get this error:
"Source File: file://<server>/UserHome/<user>/My Templates/Content/<template>.htm is not a valid folder name."

I can click on the browse button and select my template. This changes the path to:
\\<server>\UserHome\<user\My Templates\Content\<template>.htm
and I can add the topic.

The rub: This used to work in v3.1. In fact, it still works. I can do the exact same thing in the exact same project with no error.
I can prove with screenshots that the path is identical (and prefaced by "file://") in both versions.

What's changed? Anyone know how to resolve this annoying (but not critical) issue? I've got a workaround (click the Browse button and select the template), but it's an annoyance that's working its way under my skin....

thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions.

paul vanzwalenburg
pvz
Propeller Head

Re: Add New Topic w/ v4 -- "not a valid folder name"

Post by pvz »

Just spoke to MadCap support and got the following. I'm posting in case it helps someone else, though they suggested to me that I'm the only one who has or will run into this issue:

As of v4, Flare doesn't handle file paths that begin with "file://..."
So what works in v3.x doesn't work in v4.

This apparently is a fix to something that was causing other problems in Flare and is not documented in release notes or any where that I could find. (Maybe add some information about the format to the help topic about adding a new topic?)

FWIW, I'm not trying to figure out how to keep the Add New Topic dialog from defaulting my Source File path to "file://..."
Probably this is related to the way my IT department is mapping our drives? Not sure about that but I'm following up.

paul
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

If this is for a network drive you can try a full UNC path, such as \\server\resource\folder\filename. The easiest way to get the path is to browse for the share in the Microsoft Windows Network.
pvz
Propeller Head

Post by pvz »

Hi Ramon,
thanks for the reply.

Yes, it *is* for a network path, and I don't have any problem getting there (or referencing it by typing it manually).

My problem now is that I haven't found a way to get that Add New Topic dialog to change the default path it uses.
It always defaults to a path starting with "file://...."
I click on the Browse button, select my template (it opens up to the correct location), add the topic, then the next time I do this, the path is back to the old "file://...." format and I have to click Browse again.

Not a huge issue, but definitely slows me down and makes me cranky. As do changes that impact user experience but which are not documented.

thanks, paul
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I just looked at my Flre 4 and I have this as default for templates:
file:///C:/Program Files/MadCap Software/MadCap Flare V4/Flare.app/Resources/English/Templates/Content/NewTopic.htm
which is how Flare has it out of the box.

What I wonder about is that in your earlier post you claim that MadCap support stated that
As of v4, Flare doesn't handle file paths that begin with "file://..."
But that is exactly what is coming up by default and it works fine. And yes, when I browse to this file manually I get
C:/Program Files/MadCap Software/MadCap Flare V4/Flare.app/Resources/English/Templates/Content/NewTopic.htm

Now, to try this against a network share I copied that template file to a shared drive that is mapped. This gives this:
file:///P:/SIF/NewTopic.htm
and works fine as well.

What I did notice looking back at your first post is that you at least posted the path with a missing /. It has to be "file:///" and not "file://". I thought that makes a difference, but it doesn't.

So next thing I tried is to access the file through the UNC path, which would result into this:
file:///\\somename.corp.tylertechnologies.com\OUR_Network_Storage\Home_Directories\david.krings\SIF\NewTopic.htm
That generates the error that you describe, but I am sure that five slashes of various types are just too much. So removing the section "file:///" will make it work, but I see now what you are saying, once one wants to add another new topic the file:/// stuff is back there. I don't have Flare 3.1 at hand right now, but may test that later.

From my tests I can only come to two solutions:
a) map the network share so that it has a drive letter
b) copy the template file onto your local PC

I still don't get why support claims that the file:/// stuff is no longer supported. That is plain hogwash.