Converting from RoboInfo 5 to Flare

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Frances P
Jr. Propeller Head

Converting from RoboInfo 5 to Flare

Post by Frances P »

Can anyone give me some reasons, (besides better customer service) for my company to change over to Flare. I am really not happy with ADOBE and am having major problems with our servers now because we are still using RoboEngine 4, not to mention not being able to get an activation number when RoboInfo needs to be reinstalled, (which if you are a former Robo user that is their first solution when something doesn't work). The powers that be want to just upgrade to Robo 7 and I am trying to sell Flare to them. Any information I can use especially about the servers would be extremely helpful.

I have been reading this forum and comparing it to the Robo Forum and the comparison I find is that there is less frustration here then there.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Converting from RoboInfo 5 to Flare

Post by RamonS »

Uhm, let's start a list of things that are better in Flare
- great customer support (I know you mentioned it already)
- great customer support (I know I mentioned that already, but it cannot be stressed enough)
- great community support
- standards compliant output
- integration with other applications such as Analyzer, Capture and Mimic
- X-Edit functionality
- Feedback Service
- many different output formats, such as DotNet Help (may not be relevant right now, but maybe later)
- flexibility
- master pages with proxies
- linking / sharing across projects
- import and export to Word / Frame

I am sure others can add more to this list.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Flare Will be able to import your RoboInfo Project with out any problems, and you will no longer need to use RoboEngine to host your website, Any Webserver can Host Flare Webhelp output, and if you want to use Webhelp Plus Output you will need to use IIS 6.0, WebHelp Plus does allow you to use Microsoft Index service for the Search, and you can search inside of Word, XLS, PDF files.

With Flare and X-Edit now, you can have your Subject Matter Experts create content for you, and they won't need to have Flare installed on thier system, Only X-Edit.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

For me, it isn't just that Flare is a more capable and flexible tool than RoboHelp, I was quite impressed by its speed of development, and that it was keeping one step ahead of the game. So it's not only a good choice for now, I have a lot more confidence in where Flare and the MadCap suite are heading in the future.