filelist.xml files

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

filelist.xml files

Post by Gary Niemen »

I am not sure if this is a Flare thing or something that has come across from when we imported the project - but I have seen xml files in various places in the content called filelist.xml. These files are alongside a set of image files, typically called, image001, image002, and so on. Inside filelist.xml, it looks something like the following. Does anybody know what these files are? Can we move the images and remove the filelist.xml or is it some kind of Flare control file. Thanks.

- <xml xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office">
<o:MainFile HRef="../50_Tools_menu.htm" />
<o:File HRef="image001.png" />
<o:File HRef="image002.gif" />
<o:File HRef="image003.png" />
<o:File HRef="image004.gif" />
<o:File HRef="image005.png" />
<o:File HRef="image006.gif" />
<o:File HRef="filelist.xml" />
</xml>
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: filelist.xml files

Post by KevinDAmery »

Based on the schema it's actually from Microsoft, so it could be the result of an import from or export to Word. Also the Image001 name format is one that Word uses when you export a Word document to HTML.

Not sure if that clears things up or muddies them further - hopefully the former :)
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Gary Niemen »

I'm not sure - they seem to have a function in Flare. Has anybody else seen these sort of files within the project?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

As far as I know it is a catalog list of files that is used to determine which files are new or changed so that only those get uploaded when publishing to a destination.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Gary Niemen wrote:I'm not sure - they seem to have a function in Flare.
How so? Just because they exist doesn't mean that Flare needs them if you're dealing with imported material - for example, Flare brings Robohelp javascripts over into imported projects even though it doesn't need them.

Flare's own files use Madcap in the names for things (i.e. the namespace for Flare topics is xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" the designation for variables is Madcap:Variable etc.) So the fact that the namespace in the code you gave is xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" suggests it's from a Microsoft file rather than a Flare operation.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

KevinDAmery wrote:So the fact that the namespace in the code you gave is xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" suggests it's from a Microsoft file rather than a Flare operation.
Whoops! Didn't even see that. So whatever I wrote then is plain bopkus and NOT what the file is doing.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Where are you importing from? My guess is Word 2007, saved in the 'new' .docx format?
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Gary Niemen »

The reason I think (thought) these files were something to do with Flare was that when we moved the images listed by filelist.xml to the main images folder and deleted the filelist.xml file, Flare removed the topic(s) using the images as well - very strange. Anyway, we have sorted it out now - images files moved to main folder images folder, filelist.xml files deleted, and relevant topics restored.

For information, I didn't do the import myself but it was either from an HTML Help project or a straight HTML import. The original project was in FrontPage.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Ah, that would explain the Microsoft name space declaration then.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare