Cross Referencing to a List Item

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
McCarthy
Propeller Head

Cross Referencing to a List Item

Post by McCarthy »

Hi,

Does anyone know how to cross-reference to a numbered item in a list. For example, we want to jump to a step number in a procedure within a topic. Inserting a bookmark and using {paranum} or {paranumonly} doesn't work. The only options seem to be cross-referencing to the bookmark name or the entire text that is written in that list item. Not ideal though.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Flare 4.2
Certified Mad for Flare
Windows XP
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Cross Referencing to a List Item

Post by SteveS »

Try insert -> bookmark... or [ctrl]+[shift]+[k] to create a bookmark at the current cursor location.

Then insert -> cross-reference... or [ctrl]+[shift]+[r] to create your cross reference. There are various options on the dialog box. You'd want place in this document if you are linking on the same page or topic in project to link to another topic, you have the option of selecting a bookmark in the topic.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
McCarthy
Propeller Head

Post by McCarthy »

SteveS wrote:Try insert -> bookmark... or [ctrl]+[shift]+[k] to create a bookmark at the current cursor location.

Then insert -> cross-reference... or [ctrl]+[shift]+[r] to create your cross reference. There are various options on the dialog box. You'd want place in this document if you are linking on the same page or topic in project to link to another topic, you have the option of selecting a bookmark in the topic.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem though is not linking to a bookmark. It's displaying the numbered step of the bookmark in the cross reference. My mistake if that wasn't clear. When you try to cross reference to that bookmark using a cross reference format such as {paranum} or {paranumonly}, it doesn't pick up the number of the list item. For example, I have a procedure like this

1. Sample text 1
2. Sample text 2
3. Sample text 3
4. Sample text 4
5. Sample text 5
6. Sample text 6

In step 7, it will say something like "Repeat Step 2 for each file you want to delete." and have that 2 be a cross reference to the bookmark in step 2. Does that make sense?

It basically comes down to how can I cross reference to the autonumber of a bookmark in a list.

Any thoughts?
Flare 4.2
Certified Mad for Flare
Windows XP
Charlie
Propeller Head

Post by Charlie »

Hi,

The only way I've found to do that is to create a class under "p" and use the auto-numbering on that paragraph. Then when you x-ref to the bookmark using {paranum} (which picks up the ". and whatever else you put in the number definition) or {paranumonly} (better - it only gets the number) you'll get the reference and the jump. I've tried creating numbered lists under "p" before and ran into problems - can't remember what they were though. I think it had something to do with the fact that a list is grouped under ol or ul, then li and when you create a numbered list under p, it isn't grouped.

When you use {paranum} or {paranumonly} on an li style, you don't get anything because that isn't a paragraph number... it's a list number. If you try to put an auto-number on a list item, you have to modify the "Block" property to display something other than "list-item". In the editor that looks OK but when you build the output, you've been given two numbers for the same paragraph. (1. 1. <text>) Nice huh? (this is for WebHelp if that makes a difference)

Charlie
oremphelyn
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by oremphelyn »

For those still searching for an answer to this common question, the best answer is here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26443
rogersm
Propeller Head

Post by rogersm »

Madcap logged this issue as a feature request on my behalf in 2015 :)
Nick A
Propeller Head

Post by Nick A »

"Madcap logged this issue as a feature request on my behalf in 2015".

This is sadly typical of MadCap's developer*. I will also raise this as a feature request, with no expectation of ever receiving a follow-up response/answer/excuse why the developer* was incapable of implementing this very necessary feature.

* I assume there is only one Flare developer, since the pace of bug-fixing and development is so incredibly slow.