Global Project Linking - How to exclude files in the import

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Bea Lac
Propeller Head

Global Project Linking - How to exclude files in the import

Post by Bea Lac »

Hi,
I'm trying to use the Global Project Linking and I do not understand the option "Exclude Files".
I have an Import in my child project, that imports snippets, destinations and glossaries from a Master project.
In the "Include Files" field, I put : <*.fldes;*.flglo;*.flsnp> and it works fine.

But I want to exclude some snippets that are not useful in the child project, because they have links to topics in the Master project.
In the "Exclude Files" field, I put : <Intern*.flsnp> and it works fine.

BUT, when I close then re-open the Import (.flimpfl), the Exclude files field is returned to "No files". My input has been erased.
How can I remember, which files were excluded? If I modify my import, I will import again the snippets I don't want in the child.

On other hand, I would like to use this import in other childs without keying again the Excluded files.

Do I use the "exclude option" in a bad way?
Beatrice
Technical Writer
France
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Global Project Linking - How to exclude files in the import

Post by doc_guy »

I created a separate master project that only includes those files I want to import. That way I can import the entire project into any other project and not worry about what files will get copied. I wan all of 'em because sharable files are the only ones in the project.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Bea Lac
Propeller Head

Post by Bea Lac »

Thanks for advise, I will think about that.
I wonder if it is a good idea to create a new project only dedicated for sharing. I had some doubt if it is easy for the writing task and I was a little bit lazzy to re-organize all the existing topics !
Perhaps it will be faster later if I spend some time today... i hope also to spare some time in the translation task.

I am still scared about this Master project for shared elements, because ALL elements will be really copied in ALL child projects. Difficult in this condition to separate the specific topics or snippets dedicated only to the child.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Well, you can use it as a start. If you need to modify one of the imported files, then when you try to modify it, Flare will prompt you to decide whether you want to modify the file and unlink it from the import. That way, you can say "oh, I want to customize this file and no longer import it", or if you try to modify a file that is linked to an import, this dialog will remind you that you don't want to change it in the child, you want to change it in the Master project.

My only gripe is it would be nice to be able to change it in the child project and have the changes copied into the Master project, if you wanted it to be. That option doesn't exist yet, so instead you have to open the Master project and make the change there and then import the change into the child project you are working on.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

doc_guy wrote:I created a separate master project that only includes those files I want to import. That way I can import the entire project into any other project and not worry about what files will get copied. I wan all of 'em because sharable files are the only ones in the project.
Sounds good. You can still hyperlink in the destination to imported topics, and it would prevent the problem I posted re accidentally importing all the topics and then not being able to unlink them (I took Bea's suggestion and deleted the flimpfl file).

But are there any downsides to doing it that way? For instance, if the master project has general topics (rather than just glossaries, css etc), might that disturb the mental flow of how one writes and structures the individual projects, and are there any other issues?

I'm not trying to be picky; it sounds like a good idea, but I just want to be able to make an informed decision.
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

It's not a big deal, because the topics exist in the child projects; you can see them, link to them, cross-reference to them, add them to your TOCs, basically do anything but edit them (which you do in the master project, rather than in one of the child projects.)

I don't think it alters your flow too much. The files live in the folders where you expect them to. The only difference is where you edit them.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Skooter
Propeller Head

Post by Skooter »

Wish I could "see" my linked files. I was expecting to see a link icon alongside files in the Project Organiser and Content Explorer windows, so I could see "at a glance" what files are linked from my Global_Resources project. A link icon IS displayed in the tab of an open file, but why do I have to open one to know it is linked? (Yes I can look on the Imported files tab to see recently imported files). Properties also might be a good place to indicate that a file is linked! :?
Someone's boring me. I think it's me.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Do you have other icon overlays that are conflicting? Because I'm seeing an icon overlay to let me know files are linked in the Content Explorer, as shown below:

Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Skooter
Propeller Head

Post by Skooter »

Yes, I am using Tortoise | SVN (Subversion source control) which uses icon overlays in Windows Explorer!! Tortoise SVN is great, much better than Visual SourceSafe, wish Madcap was able to integrate with it - (but that's another issue which has been raised elsewhere) :)
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I'm also using TortoiseSVN, but for some reason, my icon overlays from TortoiseSVN don't show up in Flare.

You do know that PushOK Software makes a plugin that makes Flare work with SVN? I use it for some of my projects (though, I admit, it is a royal pain). But it does work.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Skooter
Propeller Head

Post by Skooter »

My Tortoise | Svn overlays don'rt show up in Flare either. Idownloaded and registered to use the Pushok plug-in, but couldn't get past an assertion error when trying to use it with Flare. I gave up on it - now I've got used to using Tortoise | Svn independently of Flare. :D
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

doc_guy wrote:Do you have other icon overlays that are conflicting?
My Flare projects are bound to TFS, so I see a tick icon for all the checked out topics in place of the link icon in your screenshot.

Is there a way to toggle which icons are shown or else to spread them out to see them all?

Even if it's not quite a bug, I think it's a major usability issue.
(I know you can see a list of imported files via Project Organiser > Imports and that if you try to edit an imported file, you are alerted to the fact, but I still think you ought to be able to see at a glance in the Content Explorer too.)
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?