Footnotes in tables

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Sharon_G
Propeller Head

Footnotes in tables

Post by Sharon_G »

I may be missing something since it's late in the afternoon, but I just spent almost an hour looking through the Help for an answer to my question and I can't find it.

Is there any way to add a footnote to the contents of a table cell and have the footnote text appear in the footer row of the table? Or just at the bottom of the table?

This is a print output issue, though if it worked for online as well (i.e. if the solution led to a footnote on-line and not to a pop-up) I wouldn't be upset.
Any help you can provide is much appreciated.
Sharon
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Footnotes in tables

Post by GregStenhouse »

Sorry Sharon, I don't think that's possible although a very good feature request. Send it to
https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx

Until Flare is updated, I suggest creating your end-of-table footnotes with styles. For the number reference create a character class (vertical-align=super, maybe even with mc-auto-numbers set if feeling really brave), and for the footnote text create a paragraph class (e.g. indented, reduced font size, and with a top border).

Cheers
Greg
Sharon_G
Propeller Head

Re: Footnotes in tables

Post by Sharon_G »

Thanks Greg,
I'll submit the feature request.
In the meantime, I think I've found a way to work around the issue for now. Formatting the footnote is not a problem, as you indicate in your post. Positioning it is the issue. When you insert a footnote, you are offered the options to place it at the end of a page, topic, section, or Chapter. I want the footnote in the table to immediately follow the table.
I can make this happen by placing the table in a topic of its own and choosing "End of Topic" as the location for the footnote.
Actually, using the same logic, I could probably use a <div> tag and choose "End of Section", but I haven't tried that yet. If I do, I'll let you know how it works.
Thanks for your help,
Sharon