Linked items not in index

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
ddiemetric
Propeller Head

Linked items not in index

Post by ddiemetric »

When I generate output, I get a message that says:
Linked index term 'term' is not in the index, skipping the link 'My Linked Term'...
I have looked everywhere for this term, including searching the entire project folder. I also used Analyzer to see if it could locate this item.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Linked items not in index

Post by Nita Beck »

My guess is that you (or another author?) added an index link set to your project but then did not add any terms to it. (An index link set provides a way to set up "See" and "See also" links in a generated index.) The item "My Linked Term" is the default term in an index link set when it the set is added to the project. Since you probably don't have a term in your index called "My Linked Term," you get the error message when you generate your output. There's no "My Linked Term" to provide a "See" or "See also" link to.

In the Project Organizer, look in the Advanced folder. You'll likely see an index link set called "NewIndexLinks". If you open that, you'll see the "My Linked Term" mentioned above. If you don't plan to use the index link set, you can simply remove it from your project. When you regenerate, you shouldn't see that error any more. If you do plan to use the index link set, add your own terms for which you want "See" and "See also" links in the index, and be sure to delete the default "My Linked Term" item (else add a "My Linked Term" to your index ;-).)

(For the benefit of other viewers of this topic, to add an index link set to a project, select Project > Advanced > Add Index Link Set.)

Hope this helps.

Nita
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

A related issue is that, when building a PDF target (even one that does not include an Index proxy) Flare looks for every index keyword mentioned in the Index Link file (even if the file is conditioned-out for this target) and raises a warning for each one it can't find. These warnings can swamp genuine problems.

It should really be possible to condition-out the Index Link files that you don't need. So I intend to request that feature.
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cayennep »

Thank you!!

happy to find this answer here, trying to start fresh from previous projects/stylesheets/etc and could not figure this out