Mouse pointer captured with image

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Mouse pointer captured with image

Post by Nita Beck »

Earlier today I read WritersUA's latest review of a whole slew of screen capture tools. (See http://www.writersua.com/articles/captu ... index.html.) Great review! I use several of the tools (sigh, four!), including MadCap Capture, which I'm using more often these days with my Flare projects (and even with my legacy RoboHelp projects and Word-based manuals).

I was surprised to read "Somewhat oddly, MadCap Capture does not allow you to include the mouse pointer in your images at capture time..." I thought, "Huh?" I capture the mouse pointer all the time with my screen images! (And I promptly sent off an email to the reviewer to correct his misapprehension.)

For those of you who haven't tried this yet, here's how it's done. (It involves using a time delay, during which you'll position the mouse.)

1. From Tools > Options, on the Capture tab, select the "Capture Mouse Cursor" option.

2. Now turn on the delay. Choose Capture > Time Delay. (The default is 5 seconds, which I've found to be plenty of time to position the mouse where I want it.)

3. Now take a screen capture. (Yes, you'll be using the mouse to indicate what you want to capture, but don't worry...). Capture will now delay taking the shot (and will give you a countdown), so position the mouse where you want it to be in the shot, and wait for Capture to finish.

Voila, you've got the mouse in a screen capture with Capture.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Re: Mouse pointer captured with image

Post by Andrew »

Nice tip! Thanks!
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Mouse pointer captured with image

Post by Nita Beck »

In case anyone cares, WritersUA's reviewer has corrected his review regarding Capture's ability to capture the mouse. He was very pleasant about it, too!
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!