Changing default folder for profiles and palettes?

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
ChristineL
Propeller Head

Changing default folder for profiles and palettes?

Post by ChristineL »

Dear all,

as a default, profiles and palettes are saved (and read out from) a folder in the Windows user folder. As we are working in a team, this is not suitable for us, as we would need to access the same profiles and palettes. I would like to change the folder location. Is this possible in Capture? If so, how?

Best regards, Christine
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Changing default folder for profiles and palettes?

Post by Nita Beck »

It's not possible to set the default folder location in Capture, as far as I can tell.

As a workaround, you can give each user copies of the same profiles and palettes to put in their user folder. To make sure you're all in sync, I suggest you designate one member of your work team as having the "master" versions. When the team decides it needs a new or edited profile or palette, make the changes in that member's version and then distribute the updated copy to the rest of the team.

In the meantime, submit a feature request: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. My read of MadCap is that they are increasingly trying to address the needs of work groups, not just individual authors.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Hi

If you open the profiles window (the button alongside the current profile on the standard toolbar or via the view menu) you are able to edit your capture profile(s).

Select the profile you wish to edit from the drop down list and select the basic tab. There is a field (with browse button) for the output folder.

HTH

Steve
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
ChristineL
Propeller Head

Post by ChristineL »

Dear Steve,

according to the Capture Help, the Output folder defines the destination of the images files captured with the profile, not of the profile file itself.

@Nita: Of course, that's what I am doing. But it's error prone, because profiles need to be manually copied to all computers in the team after each change. Also, I noticed that the profile path is saved within the Props file. This does not work for a team, because the user folder path is different on each computer.

I added a feature request.

Thanks for your responses.

Christine
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

...shoulda read the question properly... :oops:
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Suzetteb
Propeller Head

Post by Suzetteb »

Has there been an update to this? I'd like to be able to copy our profiles or have a central location where our writers can get them from, but can't figure out where they are stored.
dcole
Propeller Head

Post by dcole »

I assume this feature has not yet been added? We also have a similar problem, where we have 20+ writers working off a LAN. With each writer having their own project, the profiles do not carry over and therefore are missing when one writer opens another writer's project.

It would be very beneficial to be able to change the default folder for profiles to a folder on a LAN so that each writer would be able to use the exact same profile files.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Rob Hollinger says that an update to Capture is on the way, but I don't know when it is due or what is in the update.

This is a peer-to-peer forum, so the best way of getting MadCap's attention is a feature request:

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7