Renaming a Project then Saving

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
Redskins
Propeller Head

Renaming a Project then Saving

Post by Redskins »

I have already created and saved my project but I want to go back in and rename it when I save it.

When I try to press save as I am only able to rename the tab in which I am currently looking at. I understand this is probably a silly question but I have tried multiple options and dont know what to do.

lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: Renaming a Project then Saving

Post by lacastle »

What's wrong with renaming the project (xxx.flpfj) file in Windows Explorer? just make sure the project is not open.
Redskins
Propeller Head

Post by Redskins »

I have lost the mapping to the file and I can't take the time to keep searching for it through all of my saved documents.

Is there any way to do it while the project is open on my screen?
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

Redskins wrote:Is there any way to do it while the project is open on my screen?
I don't think so.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

If you've lost the mapping, it's pretty easy to find. Go to the Project Organizer, and right-click the Project node (it's the node which contains everything else, all the way at the top), and select Open Output Folder. This will open your project's default output folder in Windows Explorer. Click the up arrow a couple of times (or, if you are using Windows Vista or higher, click the folder with the current name of your project in the breadcrumb bar). You'll see your project file (xyz.flprj). Close Flare, rename that, and your project has been renamed. Note that you may also want to change the folder name that contains the project, and also note that the links from the Startup pane and File > Recent Projects will no longer work for your project, because the name of your FLPRJ file has changed.

Hope that helps,
Andrew
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

When you have the project open click the Project Properties button at the top eft of screen. If you cant see it, it is part of the Project toolbar, View -> Toolbars -> Project (its a toggle setting).

The Project properties dialog opens. Click the General tab, then the Open Folder button alongside the location.

The standard Windows file dialog window (Windows Explorer) opens, where you can reanmae your project. Close the Windows dialog and then click OK on the Project Properties dialog.

If you want to fix the start page 'open an existing project' list you can by clicking the File menu item -> Recent Projects -> Manage Recent Projects. The Recent Projects dialog opens, showing links to existing projectas that have broken in red. Select and click the Remove button. Click OK when you've finished.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

SteveS wrote:When you have the project open click the Project Properties button at the top eft of screen. If you cant see it, it is part of the Project toolbar, View -> Toolbars -> Project (its a toggle setting).

The Project properties dialog opens. Click the General tab, then the Open Folder button alongside the location.

The standard Windows file dialog window (Windows Explorer) opens, where you can reanmae your project. Close the Windows dialog and then click OK on the Project Properties dialog.

If you want to fix the start page 'open an existing project' list you can by clicking the File menu item -> Recent Projects -> Manage Recent Projects. The Recent Projects dialog opens, showing links to existing projectas that have broken in red. Select and click the Remove button. Click OK when you've finished.

HTH
I've just done the renaming thing you mention, and when I try to look at Project Properties a second time, I get an error message "could not find file".
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

Did you close the project and reopen the one with the new name?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

No, I tried after I'd done the renaming thing. I just thought I'd mention it. Not a problem, as I knew where the project was that I could open, but it didn't appear in the Start page the next time I restarted Flare, so if people are going to rename their projects I just thought I'd mention that you DO have to know where your project is the first time you try to open it after you've renamed it. If I'm making any sense at all...

In brief, if you rename your project as described, make sure you know where the .flprj file is so you can find it again.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx