Torn edge effect

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
navoff
Sr. Propeller Head

Torn edge effect

Post by navoff »

EDIT: Split from http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... a&start=15 -Andrew
SteveS wrote: The duplicate styles pane in Analyzer lists the duplicated styles found in the stylesheet(s):
Analyzer1.jpg
There is also a 'report' in the unused items called unused styles:
Analyzer2.jpg
If you doubleclick the item (style), Analyzer opens the stylsheet editor, allowing you to remove the style.

By comparing the duplicate styles and unused styles, you can clean up your project.

The trick will be applying just one of the styles throughout your project.

HTH
Okay, dumb question here, but how did you achieve the drop shadow on your torn edges? Did you use the Madcap Capture program or was it something else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andrew on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split topic
JRP
"How many slime-trailing, sleepless, slimy, slobbering things do you know that will run and hide from your Eveready?"
--Maureen Birnbaum, Barbarian Swordsperson
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Duplicate styles

Post by LTinker68 »

navoff wrote:Okay, dumb question here, but how did you achieve the drop shadow on your torn edges? Did you use the Madcap Capture program or was it something else?
That looks like a screenshot doctored in SnagIt. Capture might have that capability, too, but I haven't played with it much.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

LTinker68 wrote:
navoff wrote:Okay, dumb question here, but how did you achieve the drop shadow on your torn edges? Did you use the Madcap Capture program or was it something else?
That looks like a screenshot doctored in SnagIt. Capture might have that capability, too, but I haven't played with it much.
Capture has that ability, but it's not nearly as refined as SnagIt's.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
navoff
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by navoff »

LTinker68 wrote: That looks like a screenshot doctored in SnagIt. Capture might have that capability, too, but I haven't played with it much.
Andrew wrote: Capture has that ability, but it's not nearly as refined as SnagIt's.
I've tried using the torn edge effect on the Madcap Capture (Version 3.0.16) but, as you say, it doesn't come out that refined nor can I see a way to add a drop shadow to it so it stands out. When you "tear" a white edge and stick it on a white background, you really can't tell it's been "torn". I like the idea of using the torn edge as it implies that there is more to the image you're not seeing. As opposed to a clean, cropped edge that implies that's all there is to the screenshot.
JRP
"How many slime-trailing, sleepless, slimy, slobbering things do you know that will run and hide from your Eveready?"
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Since we don't use SnagIt, and Capture isn't very good at this, I typically don't bother with it at all. There are not many situations where I think it's important for users to know that the screen shot is only a part of a screen, and in those circumstances where it is important, I've taken the approach of using the zoom feature of capture: capture the whole application screen, and then use the zoom to call out the relevant area. In some cases (when Capture's zoom isn't a good fit, such as when the area in question is fairly large), I've jury-rigged a pair of screen captures to make things clear.

Edit: I split this topic to put it in the appropriate forum.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Torn edge effect

Post by RamonS »

There are different ways to do it, torn edge is just one of those that are around long enough so that people 'get it'. Besides that, done well it just looks mighty cool. What I used to do is only include screenshots of individual UI elements where needed, such as an expanded drop-down. I applied a style that draws a 1 px black frame around it and my assumption is that it looks different enough that people will recognize that this isn't an entire form.
Others don't even bother with many screenshots, because the user typically has the application next to the help window and there isn't much added value in showing what the user already sees. In my first projects I had screen shots of entire forms and it confused people as they clicked on the picture in the help rather than the app. And then there are the often referenced screen portraits, which I yet have to find a project for to implement them. Using them zoom into a specific area on a screen is a nice idea, it helps locating the part that the help section covers.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

The torn edge effect, complete with shadows, comes from Snagit.

It is a standard we use, although I tend to do my screen captures and callouts in Capture; only taking the final image and adding the torn edge using Snagit.

I've added a feature request for a better torn edge in Capture, you can add your voice hereif you wish (the more, the merrier (as my grandmother used to say)).
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
nickatwork
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by nickatwork »

Please forgive my total stupidity, but how are you applying the torn edge effect in MadCap Capture?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Nick, open the image's File Properties (Ctrl+Shift+P). Switch to the Edge Effects tab. There you can select the "Torn" edge effect and play around with it (though I don't think you're likely to achieve a torn edge as nice as SnagIt's). I think you can also apply a shadow effect to the edge, but do that on the Shadow tab.

Hope this helps. (And you're not stupid... it's Capture's UI. Like Flare's, Capture UI is far from intuitive.)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
navoff
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by navoff »

Nita Beck wrote:Nick, open the image's File Properties (Ctrl+Shift+P). Switch to the Edge Effects tab. There you can select the "Torn" edge effect and play around with it (though I don't think you're likely to achieve a torn edge as nice as SnagIt's). I think you can also apply a shadow effect to the edge, but do that on the Shadow tab.

Hope this helps. (And you're not stupid... it's Capture's UI. Like Flare's, Capture UI is far from intuitive.)
I have Capture version 3.0 and it doesn't have a shadow tab for the entire image:
capture_file_properties.png
It has a shadow tab for an element you add like a caption, but not the image as a whole.
bubble_properties.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JRP
navoff
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by navoff »

Okay, I just tested the torn edge/drop shadow effect in Madcap Capture 5 (trial version). It sucks.
test.png
That is NOT what a drop shadow on a torn edge should look like. It doesn't treat the torn edge as an object to apply the shadow to. It's applying it to the un-edged image. I had started by cropping the image and then making sure the background color was white so that a drop shadow would stand out as such. I used the default torn edge settings and the default "shadow" settings. Blech!
JRP
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

navoff wrote:It sucks...Blech!
Don't sugar-coat it. Tell us what you really think. :D
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
navoff
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by navoff »

ccardimon wrote:
navoff wrote:It sucks...Blech!
Don't sugar-coat it. Tell us what you really think. :D
Yeah, I know. I really need to work on my self expression. :wink:

BTW, I just heard back from the folks at Madcap. This issue has been submitted to the developers as an enhancement request (number 42491). I included the link to this thread when I sent the request in.
JRP
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Very good. Cool.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia