Can you apply a drop shadow to a captured image?

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
pathowe23
Jr. Propeller Head

Can you apply a drop shadow to a captured image?

Post by pathowe23 »

I would like to apply a drop-shadow to an image that is captured with Capture 3.0.

In other programs, such as FullShot, you can set an option to automatically add a drop-shadow to each screen that you capture. However, I cannot find a setting similar to it in Capture 3.0.

Capture does have a "Format > Shadow" function that enables you to add a shadow effect to an OBJECT in an image, but not to the IMAGE itself. Is there a way to either a) automatically apply a drop shadow to each captured image, or b) apply a drop-shadow to an image after it is captured?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Can you apply a drop shadow to a captured image?

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums. Nice to see you here.

First, you can add a shadow to the whole image by opening the File Properties (right-click anywhere on the image and select File Properties) and setting up the desired shadow on the Shadow tab. This is similar to adding a shadow to an object, but you're doing so for the whole image.

Second, there is a way to save file properties (so the shadow settings and any other settings, such a edge effects) as a profile that you can then apply to other images as well. I've not done this myself (yet, for lack of time), but I'm pretty sure that this is one of the purposes of custom profiles. I'm not sure if you can have a custom profile automatically applied to an image when first grabbed. Perhaps others on the forum who have used profiles this way can chime in.

Hope this at least points you in a useful direction...
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
AndyG
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by AndyG »

Thanks for this.

We're considering the drop shadow for some of our screen grabs, but the we're looking for something a touch more feathered or diffuse. Is there a way to spread the shadow in MadCap Flare? Think of outer glow that happens to be dark.

Ideally we might want apply this to text, too.

Please and thanks!
wgaffga
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by wgaffga »

Double click on the image (in Capture). The File Properties dlog has a "Shadow" tab. You can control the left/right, up/down direction and distance. The Transparency value makes it heavy or light.

There isn't a way to create an outer-glow as in Photoshop, or centered motion blur as in Paint.net.