Print quality of black and white screenshots

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Print quality of black and white screenshots

Post by ajturnersurrey »

I have lots of black and white screenshots in my current document, saved as .png in Capture. dpi is OK. They look good on screen and print quality is good when I print in black and white. When I print in colour print quality is poor - I get grey mottling which I would describe as "jpeg fuzziness" around the words.

I found that I can check the box under Properties > Format > Colour depth (default) :Gray Scale
which seems to give some improvement

I read in kb about "output has gray mottled background" - only that refered to a .gif file, with the only workaround suggested being to save as .bmp or .jpeg

I am addressing this by trial and error with little success. Anyone able to suggest other things they have found to help? Should I be tinkering with color depth as well as ticking grayscale? Should I be trying other formats eg .jpeg?
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Print quality of black and white screenshots

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Turns out my instinct to blame Capture was unfair.

The nice support guys have patiently tested things for me from a bug report ... and it appears to be that my printer (TOSHIBA e-STUDIO4520CSeriesPCL6) that was being too clever by half and applying its own "sharpness filter" and half-tone settings to my pdf to produce the mottling.

Hope this helps anyone experiencing similar dissatisfaction.