Unable to capture tooltips

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
sonia
Jr. Propeller Head

Unable to capture tooltips

Post by sonia »

I have capture v 5.0.0 installed on windows 7. I am unable to capture tooltips.
Others in my office on vista have no trouble capturing tooltips with the Ctrl Shft A hot key.
Any advice?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Unable to capture tooltips

Post by RamonS »

One workaround is to create a screen video and then capture from the video. I captured a few hard to capture items that way, especially fast moving progress info messages.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

Maybe you could do Windows screenshots (via "Print" or "ALT+Print")? If you do, you need to know:
You get the tooltip if you shoot the whole screen (key "Print"), but not the cursor that is causing the tooltip. Remedy: You shoot the whole screen, cut off the irrelevant bits around the window and add a cursor from a separate graphics file (that you shot before from on of the windows in the Windows mouse settings).

I even have a special themepack in Windows for screenshots: has a white desktop and white application background - I also switch off the desktop symbols. All that to get proper round window corners on my screenshot.
Inge____________________________
"I need input! - Have you got input?"
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

My theme for the rounded edges issue is Windows Classic, which shows the boxy form the way it really is (the round edges hang over the edge of the actual form). That also makes for smaller screen shots. And if users are confused by the minor difference in Windows style then they have far bigger problems.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

We use standard looks for the very simple reason that at least 90% of our users never change anything but the desktop image ...
We don't want to give them additional stuff to muse about - they are supposed to look at the documentation, find the info they want and get off to do their real work again. And since Windows XP there are round corners in the standard theme.
Inge____________________________
"I need input! - Have you got input?"
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by BedfordWriter »

Responding to a very old topic, but I needed to do exactly this today and couldn't see any more recent discussion of it. After working out how to capture the tooltip, it didn't seem right to leave this discussion thread hanging; Someone might get the idea that it's hard to do.

The "trick" is to use a Capture keyboard shortcut while you have your tooltip visible. Not the Windows Shift-PrtScr shortcut, but the Capture version. Ctrl-Shift-A should work, but you might experiment with other options for regions or windows.