Benefits of Capture vs Hypersnap?

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
KCinColorado
Propeller Head

Benefits of Capture vs Hypersnap?

Post by KCinColorado »

Just started using Flare (8.1) in the last few months, finished converting from RH and now dealing with screenshot updates. I have the latest Capture V6. My questions are:

1) Do I really need to deal with these props files if I'm not conditionalizing graphics?
2) Been using Hypersnap forever and Ctrl+Shift+W to capture windows. Tried that earlier from Capture but the screen capture went to Hypersnap instead, so I closed/exited Hypersnap and tried again. Nothing. Had to use menus in Capture to get it to capture a Windows application dialog box. It was too many clicks... Not sure how to capture windows with keystrokes using Capture.
3) Was told (by support) that the .props files will also get published, and therefore distributed with our application. This will double the image file count which is already in the hundreds. My engineers want to know why the props files are necessary.

Trying to understand why I should use Capture going forward, as I edit screen captures in my Help system (which is WebHelp for now, not HTML5, but we're hoping to move to that at some point.) I AM planning to take advantage of the synchroze feature, to synch Flare with a graphics folder that is external to the project. But right now, these graphics are only used in one Help file and are not conditionalized. I do, however, occasionally share them with our Web designer and managers for presentations and Web site.

Pros/cons? Any advice appreciated!

kc
GinnyR
Propeller Head

Re: Benefits of Capture vs Hypersnap?

Post by GinnyR »

A Capture props file saves information about the original image before applying any size reductions or objects such as callouts or arrows. It's a nice way to get back to the original screenshot. Capture also uses props files to set print-only size/resolution settings so you can use the same image in online and print outputs.

In my experience the props files are not included in the WebHelp output files. If they're not in the Output, I don't think they would get published.